testing brand new regulators prior to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a perfect example of bad business practices so common to dive shops. Chrpai is right, that shop is punishing you for buying your regulator online. So, a new potential customer walks in the door, and instead of reaching out to him, the shop basically says F-you. Now there's a discussion about it on the biggest scuba internet forum, probably the name of the shop will at some point be mentioned, and poof, hundreds if not thousands of scuba divers have a bad impression of this shop. All because they wouldn't do the ONE THING they have an advantage in, offering personal service to local divers face to face. Idiots...

Yes, it does seem excessive. I'm surprised it didn't come assy., tested and adjusted to spec. ( This service is standard operating procedure for any gear that we sell in the store or on-line. )

In any event, you should always do a checkout dive on any new or just serviced gear to insure that is performing to your satisfaction. ( A pool or shallow water dive site works better than a bath tub or a hot tub. )

Is that what they're going to charge you to test it...or service it? For a test, that's way too much.
My LDS does that for free. I walked in two weeks ago before a dive, she greeted me and said, "Would hate to see something fail on you, let me see that reg!" Handed it over to her, she did an ip test, checked for leaks, then told me I was good to go. No charge, all done in 10 minutes.
I usually check my equipment in the pool. I know it's not recommended, but I have my friend keep an eye out for me while I stay under (shallow part of the pool) for a good 15-30 minutes. Yes...it does get quite boring down there, unless of course someone is willing to join you for some underwater hockey!

It was a little bit of a sticker shock, as I was expecting it to be around $100 or less for both sets (mine and the wife). I read the other thread about dive shops and people bringing in stuff bought online or elsewhere, and thought it was an interesting read. We didn't buy the gear at the LDS, but we did get our OW training with the owner.

I plan to work on my own regulators (I don't qualify for the Scubapro parts for life program, and we don't dive enough to justify having the regulators serviced annually to qualify for the lifetime warranty) so I might as well learn to work on it on my own.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2013 at 01:05 PM ----------

I'm surprised it didn't come assy., tested and adjusted to spec. ( This service is standard operating procedure for any gear that we sell in the store or on-line. )

I bought everything from leisurepro.com. Everything came at once except the octo (R195) which was backordered for a few weeks. This is my first big purchase, so were they supposed to have everything connected and tested prior to shipping?

---------- Post added May 20th, 2013 at 01:06 PM ----------

Is that what they're going to charge you to test it...or service it?

It was just to hook everything together and a check to make sure it was in proper working order.

It's OK to use silicone grease, but it's better to use Christo-lube or Tribolube to lube the fitting threads and o-rings. Disregard the advice about hose protectors as they retain moisture on the fittings. However, see this vid for instructions on installing the hoses. How to Assemble a Scuba Diving Regulator - YouTube

This is a perfect example of bad business practices so common to dive shops. Chrpai is right, that shop is punishing you for buying your regulator online. So, a new potential customer walks in the door, and instead of reaching out to him, the shop basically says F-you. Now there's a discussion about it on the biggest scuba internet forum, probably the name of the shop will at some point be mentioned, and poof, hundreds if not thousands of scuba divers have a bad impression of this shop.
All because they wouldn't do the ONE THING they have an advantage in, offering personal service to local divers face to face. Idiots...

How do you expect the LDs to offer personal service when the item was purchased elsewhere? You trusted them enough to take your class there but not enough to purchase the TWO regulators you bought elsewhere. Its sort of a slap n the face to the staff at the LDS that taught you and destroyed any incentive for them to give you any type of service unless you are paying for it.. Are you saying they should do this service for free? What planet are you from?
The price may seem high, but they are doing a service that the OP does not want to do themselves.. Once they touch the regulator they own it. They have to deal with a customer that did not trust them enough to purchase the regulator from them. They do as much as scratch it and they have to answer to you. I think what they charged is fair under the circumstances.
I have had people show up for a ow class on their 1st night of pool work with complete gear set ups. They purchased online at the same price that we would charge...Makes no sense.. We refunded them their money in full and told them that I cannot teach them and to go to where they purchased the gear and get trained there.Their answer was the place they purchased the gear does not offer any classes. I even sent them to other dive facilities in the area about 15-20 minutes away.. No trust shown to me or the facility I teach out of . Two other students have done this in the past about 4-5 years ago and they actually returned all the online purchased gear and purchased from us after we explained the service that can go with the sale. They have taken at least 4 trips to the islands with us..One is now in a IDC at our facility , IE next weekend, and his wife is in a AI course with us. They will be getting classes assigned and make $$$ thru the facility.

Last edited:
How do you expect the LDs to offer personal service when the item was purchased elsewhere? Are you saying they should do this service for free? What planet are you from?
The price may seem high, but they are doing a service that the OP does not want to do themselves.. Once they touch the regulator they own it. They have to deal with a customer that did not trust them enough to purchase the regulator from them. They do as much as scratch it and they have to answer to you. I think what they charged is fair under the circumstances.

I'm from the planet where retail shops that are in a competitive business should welcome potential new customers to their shop and do something for them that will earn their business, instead of gouge someone (that they TAUGHT!) because they had the nerve to actually buy something at a different store. In the scuba business, success for a brick and mortar shop is based on building relationships and creating a community, not whining and gouging.

My guess is that this was the last time that diver will ever walk into that shop. Is that your recipe for success?

And BTW, if you think $110 is a 'fair' price for hooking a new reg up to a tank and checking the IP, then you're the one from outer space....where things are really expensive.

I'm from the planet where retail shops that are in a competitive business should welcome potential new customers to their shop and do something for them that will earn their business, instead of gouge someone (that they TAUGHT!) because they had the nerve to actually buy something at a different store. In the scuba business, success for a brick and mortar shop is based on building relationships and creating a community, not whining and gouging.

My guess is that this was the last time that diver will ever walk into that shop. Is that your recipe for success?

And BTW, if you think $110 is a 'fair' price for hooking a new reg up to a tank and checking the IP, then you're the one from outer space....where things are really expensive.

Why would a LDS want the type of customer that only comes in for a class and buys elsewhere and then not expect to have to pay for the service of assembling the gear? Is it high? Sure it is..but with this type of customer the lds already knows that they already lost them. Advise them about the service that you can offer and see if they understand . As I said I have had people come in with gear purchased from elsewhere (LP) they returned it all and purchased from us and have taken additional training-up to IDC level, and have been on at least 4 trips to the islands with us. I rather have 2 customers like that than 10 who purchase elsewhere and then expect not to have to pay for any requested service that normally would most likely have been no charge.

I would recommend putting it together and testing it yourself. The same basic skills to check the reg (leak check, ip pressure, cracking resistance in the sink) will be useful to you down the road so you know when your reg NEEDS service instead of blindly following the annual rule of thumb. If something is wrong on a brand new reg, you should not fix it but return it.

IMHO: Almost anyone can learn to check their own regulators. Learning to repair / rebuild is something you may or may not want to learn in the future.

How do you expect the LDs to offer personal service when the item was purchased elsewhere? You trusted them enough to take your class there but not enough to purchase the TWO regulators you bought elsewhere. Its sort of a slap n the face to the staff at the LDS that taught you and destroyed any incentive for them to give you any type of service unless you are paying for it.. Are you saying they should do this service for free? What planet are you from?
I have had people show up for a ow class on their 1st night of pool work with complete gear set ups. They purchased online at the same price that we would charge...Makes no sense.. We refunded them their money in full and told them that I cannot teach them and to go to where they purchased the gear and get trained there.Their answer was the place they purchased the gear does not offer any classes. I even sent them to other dive facilities in the area about 15-20 minutes away.. No trust shown to me or the facility I teach out of . Two other students have done this in the past about 4-5 years ago and they actually returned all the online purchased gear and purchased from us after we explained the service that can go with the sale. They have taken at least 4 trips to the islands with us..One is now in a IDC at our facility , IE next weekend, and his wife is in a AI course with us. They will be getting classes assigned and make $$$ thru the facility.

Why would a LDS want the type of customer that only comes in for a class and buys elsewhere and then not expect to have to pay for the service of assembling the gear? Is it high? Sure it is..but with this type of customer the lds already knows that they already lost them. Advise them about the service that you can offer and see if they understand . As I said I have had people come in with gear purchased from elsewhere (LP) they returned it all and purchased from us and have taken additional training-up to IDC level, and have been on at least 4 trips to the islands with us. I rather have 2 customers like that than 10 who purchase elsewhere and then expect not to have to pay for any requested service that normally would most likely have been no charge.

Thank you for your fairly clear expression of what is wrong with too many local dive shops. No one asked a shop to do work for free as you seem to want readers to believe. And your support of the $110 charge to assemble and check out a new regulator is just incredible. What you as much as admit you are supporting is the idea that an LDS that has lost a sale to some competitor is justified in grossly overcharging customers who had the audacity to take advantage of a better deal.

You should be ashamed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom