Testing Air Quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
I know you told me, but what is the lowest reading range on your CO analyzer?

Can it detect 1~5 ppm?

Thanks,

Yes, although in hot weather the baseline will creep up to a few ppm. Just subtract that amount.

Mad_Max:
I think all of that is doable, I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort to build and sell something like this?
Assuming calibration wasn't an issue, for something like what we're talking about here; what price do you think the market could bear?

The market will bear basically nothing. Certainly less than the cost of the FID portion alone. ~$4K as mentioned below.

Professional analysis isn't that expensive (~$100). "Independent accredited analysis" is typically required when mandated (e.g. in FL). It also helps with the perception of sharing the liability.

Max, you are not missing anything. Air quality is tested periodically by vendors and major users like fire departments. Some users continuously monitor stuff like CO for whatever reason. However, filtration technology has improved over the past two decades and the manufacturers have furnished information on the life cycle of the systems resulting in good predictability. It is not cost effective to instrument an air compressor like some comatose patient on a respirator. Moreover, there is no need.

Mad_Max:
I'm surprised that there doesn't exist a piece of equipment that can test CO2, O2, CO and Humidity?
Something inline / realtime, that can give the operator realtime feedback as to what goes in the tank? It just seems to make sense to me. A lot of factors can change from the time a sample is taken and sent to a lab and the results are returned. Also, a lot of tanks can be filled in the same amount of time.
Am I missing something here?
They're called Drager Tubes and you can test for just about anything.

Analox/Amoxtec makes an inline full time CO monitor for air systems.

http://www.analox.net/site/content_SD_co.php

I'm still looking for a reasonably priced handheld unit that could travel easy and have a range of 0 - 30 ppm. I've suggested to Amoxtec that they produce a portable O2 & CO monitor in one unit (similar to their 02/He analyzer). Either swap out the He cell with the CO cell or go nuts and add the CO cell to the existing trimix analyzer.

miesemer:
I'm still looking for a reasonably priced handheld unit that could travel easy and have a range of 0 - 30 ppm. I've suggested to Amoxtec that they produce a portable O2 & CO monitor in one unit (similar to their 02/He analyzer). Either swap out the He cell with the CO cell or go nuts and add the CO cell to the existing trimix analyzer.
Drager tubes are the standard of the industry.

Standard or not, I don't see hand pumps and glass detection tubes as being something that recreational divers (not shops or gas suppliers) are going to use or purchase. I still think a combined O2/CO analyzer would be in my dive bag long before I carry a set of draeger tubes.

miesemer:
Standard or not, I don't see hand pumps and glass detection tubes as being something that recreational divers (not shops or gas suppliers) are going to use or purchase. I still think a combined O2/CO analyzer would be in my dive bag long before I carry a set of draeger tubes.
They come in a nice little portable case, I carry CO2, CO, oil and water tubes with me routinely. They take up very little space and are very easy to use. Granted, they don't give them away.

miesemer:
Analox/Amoxtec makes an inline full time CO monitor for air systems.

http://www.analox.net/site/content_SD_co.php

Carrying a couple of cheaper units is better all around for me. Half price since its not bought through a dive shop :wink:

I have this unit with similar mods.
http://www.denninger.net/diving/co-analyzer.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom