Tested - Micro Four Thirds with Extension Tubes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefwalker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Very nice work and a very complete write up on your link.

I just ordered a used Olympus 35mm macro and a 4/3rds to micro 4/3rds adaptor for use with PEN E-PM1 and E-PL6 cameras. I have a bad feeling that the lens diameter is going to be too large for my housing.

Hi Jeff,
Great shots -
understood with ext. tube, IQ is not affected. How difficult to focus ? Did you use AF or MF.
I love the 60mm, but some time the magnification is too strong.
Since the ext. tube is inside the port and can't be remove - how far the max. working distance.

send my regards to Dawn

cheers

Hi Jeff,
Great shots -
understood with ext. tube, IQ is not affected. How difficult to focus ? Did you use AF or MF.
I love the 60mm, but some time the magnification is too strong.
Since the ext. tube is inside the port and can't be remove - how far the max. working distance.
send my regards to Dawn

cheers

Hi Wisnu
Sorry, I only just saw your question !
I used AF and MF for the tests, mostly AF for the shots where I am further away, MF when very close.... Actually I don't really use MF in the true sense of the word. What I do is set the Fn button to toggle AF/MF. So when I want to fix the focus distance, I move in and use the normal AF on the shutter, then press the Fn button which then freezes the Focus point at this set distance, then I move the camera in/out (slowly) to achieve focus at the exact point needed on the subject. I have a manual focus ring on the 60mm macro lens, but don't actually use it very often, it's is much quicker (for me) using the AF/MF toggle.
Your correct, as the extension tube is inside the port it can't be changed underwater, I tend to go in the water with a fixed set-up, with something in-mind to photograph, so I don't feel it restricts me. But in saying that, on one of my trials I found a wunderpuss, and the maximum focus distance was exactly the distance the wunderpuss would allow me to get to him. So that was frustrating (one photo in focus, see below).
The maximum distance that can be focused depends on the lens/tube combination. It is releveant to the lens focal length combined with the length of extension tube. Longer Focal Length & Longer Extension Tube = more magnification and closer maximum focus.... but aslo closer minimum focus, and more magnification. Some examples:
* The 45mm Panasonic/Leica Macro Lens with 16mm extension tube has the furthest focus distance. Around 60cms from port to subject, but Closest Focus is 6-7cms from the port.
* The 60mm with two extension tubes stacked (26mm total) has the closest maximum focus distance. Around 20cms from the port to subject. But closest focus is almost on the port!
So yes, it certainly restricts how far you can focus from the camera. But it certainly makes a killer super macro set-up without any big investment, no extra wet lenses to carry around, it will suit some of the macro buffs I'm sure.
Dawn says Hi and please pass on our regards to Celi, Melati & Mayang :happywave:
P.S. Just saw your flooded lens post.... sorry to hear !

Wunderpuss-5301813.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom