Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Continued from previous post

4: O-Rings Buying Guide​

The easiest way to purchase O-rings is in pre-packaged rebuild or soft-goods kits. That relieves you having to determine the correct size, material, and Durometer required. However, it is also the most expensive method by a significant margin. Divers that want to buy from industrial O-ring suppliers may find the following information useful.

Measurements​

View attachment 432101
Most O-Ring suppliers measure them by the ID (Inside Diameter) and the Width or Thickness (cross-sectional diameter).

View attachment 432238
The vast majority of O-ring cross sections are round, but not all. For example, the Quad or X-Rings.

As a rule, round cross sections are assumed unless otherwise specified. The Width or Thickness can be measured with calipers or O-ring gauges.

View attachment 432102
Parker O-ring sizing cone and tape gauge

Material​

You can specify the material you want or most suppliers can help you determine the proper replacement material from a sample. Don’t be fooled into thinking that color is a reliable indicator. It is not.

Metal O-Rings are available for ultra-high pressures and/or purity, high temperatures, and for corrosive materials. They are seldom used in diving applications. Materials commonly used in diving applications are listed in Post #3.

Durometer​

Durometer is the O-Ring material's hardness, or resistance to indentation. Albert Ferdinand Shore developed the Shore Hardness Scale and instrument in the 1920s. "Durometer" is used in the O-Ring industry for the value and the instrument that measures Shore hardness of resilient materials.

Most industrial O-ring suppliers have instruments to check material Durometer and will test samples for you at the counter. Gauges are available for under $100 but are rarely required. Most O-rings used in diving applications are 70 to 90 Durometer but selecting the correct one can be critical.

Making Custom O-rings​

It is rare that custom O-rings are needed in the recreational Scuba industry, but commercial and military divers frequently encounter them. Larger O-rings required for chamber hatches, viewports, and mating trunks are seldom available and quantities are too small to justify such large tooling for custom production runs.

Extruded O-ring stock is available in large cross-sectional widths and a variety of materials. Formulations of Cyanoacrylate (like Superglue) adhesives are sold specifically for splicing O-ring stock.

Pro Tips​

Bonding machinery is available for more critical O-ring splicing applications.

Commercial divers and chamber technicians will often see full and half dovetail O-ring glands (grooves) in:
  • Chamber and utility lock doors and hatches
  • Bell and chamber mating flanges
  • Chamber to chamber bolt flanges
  • Hydraulic and pneumatic flanges and end bells
Changing O-rings can be tricky. This video might help

I'm embarrassed to admit how many times I started pressing an O-ring in a chamber door's half-dovetail groove from one point, worked my way around, and ended up with more O-ring than groove. Naturally all the old hands were watching the "new guy" demonstrate that I deserved that title.

Continued in the next post

Where can I get more information on that?

That sound about right but :idk: for surel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom