Test on WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baruke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is the inside diameter of the Ikelite WD-4 Dome (in mm)?

And this could be a very silly question, but here it goes:

Does anybody ever tried to put a WD-4 Dome at front of a Inon UWL-100 WA Lens?

Thanks

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is the inside diameter of the Ikelite WD-4 Dome (in mm)?

And this could be a very silly question, but here it goes:

Does anybody ever tried to put a WD-4 Dome at front of a Inon UWL-100 WA Lens?

Thanks

I seriously doubt that anyone has put an Ikelite dome on an Inon 100WAL since Inon already makes a high quality, glass, optically coated dome corrector for their lens.

N

Hi Nemrod,

I know that Inon have a very good dome to use with UWL-100.
My question came because I´m trying to understand if it´s possible to make a DIY dome to attach to UWL-100 (without damaged it!!!).

I know that Inon´s dome it is a "real" dome because it keeps the air between the lens.
I would like to understand the effect of a "water dome" like the wd-4 gives at front of a wa lens like UWL-100.
Probably no-fisheye effect and severe vigneting.... ??

I was bought a UWL-100 lens but i didn´t wet it, yet. The sea is a little wild these days.

Baruke

Hi Nemrod,

I know that Inon have a very good dome to use with UWL-100.
My question came because I´m trying to understand if it´s possible to make a DIY dome to attach to UWL-100 (without damaged it!!!).

I know that Inon´s dome it is a "real" dome because it keeps the air between the lens.
I would like to understand the effect of a "water dome" like the wd-4 gives at front of a wa lens like UWL-100.
Probably no-fisheye effect and severe vigneting.... ??

I was bought a UWL-100 lens but i didn´t wet it, yet. The sea is a little wild these days.

Baruke

I am not really sure I follow your question. The 100WAL you have when equipped with the Inon dome corrector (which is an air filled dome) preserves the full FOV of the 100WAL that it has above water---below water if you follow.

If you could take an old Ikelite dome, cut the base square, mill an aluminum plate with a opening for the Inon back plate, purchase the Inon back plate and then assemble the unit with lens, Inon plate, milled back plate and dome and bond the milled plate into the dome base, I guess it would work but you would be better off just buying the Inon unit.

If the dome is filled with water it serves no purpose, it must contain air/nitrogen/something!!!! other than water.

Yes, I am familiar with Ikelite domes, I once owned a Nikon F in Ikelite case with dome port. Yeah, you could make a DIY dome for the Inon with an Ikelite dome but it will likely either be inferior to or cost more money than just buying the real deal. And, there is your time and frustration. These days I only resort to making my own when the manufacturers fail me. Like right now I am slowly designing in CAD my own housing and if I must I will have it converted to CNC and make a one off unit. It will cost a fortune, it will use up all of my time, I could buy three deluxe SLR rigs for the same effort. But, some people like you and me are hard headed and stubborn and must do things simply because we can. Good luck.

N

Hi Nemrod,

Thanks for yours explanations.

The Ike´s WD-4 is to place underwater, so... does it have a dry chamber inside?

First i´ll need to exercise with my uwl-100 alone uw (even alone, I belive it would be a large step foward to my 35mm camera). Then I´ll think upgrading it with a dome. (but first I´ll need a strobe :blush: )

Problably I´ll put on my ToDo list passing by a acrilic shop/glass.

I´m following the S90 threats with very attention and interess. Maybe it´ll be my future.
But, for now, I´m very happy with my 590 and ikelite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom