Terrible dive today!Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivetheRock, I would suggest you PM NWGratefulDiver and ask him for his handout on gas management.

Whenever you dive, you should decide BEFORE the dive starts how much gas you have, how much gas your buddy has, and how that gas is to be used. Some dives, you can use all the gas you have, other than a safe reserve to get you and your buddy to the surface in the event of an emergency. Dives from a live boat are like that. Some dives, like your shore dive, are dives where you would very much like to get back to your starting point, but you do have the option of surfacing earlier if you must. Those dives allow you to use half of the available gas (reserving the amount for emergencies, always). Dives where you MUST get back to the starting point are managed by the rule of thirds.

If you understand this, you can plan, and say to one another, "Well, we need to turn the dive when I get to "x" psi." And doing that, you will know that you will be safe with respect to gas supply, failing a massive equipment problem (and they are extremely rare.)

Then, once you get in the water, you need to build a strong habit of checking your pressure gauge every five minutes. If you know what your typical gas consumption IS, you can pick up very quickly if you are under stress, working against an unforeseen current, or otherwise using gas faster than you planned. That will give you a clue as to whether you will be able to dive as long as you had expected.

Making good decisions in the face of problems underwater is something that takes time and experience. In most cases, especially in shallow dives, a significant problem or malfunction is best dealt with by surfacing (in a controlled fashion). As you get deeper, that changes, but certainly at the depths where you are diving, there's no reason to remain at depth in the face of any major problem.

You probably would also benefit from doing some additional reading about decompression and tables and computers, so that you can better understand why you were taught to do the things you were taught to do, and when exceptions can be made to the rules you learned. You would have been saved a great deal of anxiety on this dive, for example, if you had understood that the stop you learned to do is, in fact, optional.

You're a new diver, and there is a ton of stuff to learn about this sport. But do ask Bob for his gas management stuff. Diver0001 (on this board) taught me that the only real emergency is a lack of anything to breathe. Everything else is an inconvenience. (That's an overstatement, but the underlying principle is valid.) You need a better understanding of how to plan and manage your gas supply in order to be safe.

Glad you made it back safely - and thank you for sharing your experience here. Many divers have done the same/similar but never tried to learn how to correct things.

I'd second the idea of sending a PM to Bob (NWGratefulDiver) and ask for a copy of his gas management paper - it's very well written, and contains some excellent information.

You might also continue practicing airshares regularly when not under stress, like on your safety stop - If you have the time and the air, might as well make the most of them. Get comfortable sharing air and maintaining your bouyancy - it's more difficult than it may sound and takes practice to learn it. Just be sure you practice in easy conditions first like the shallows at the end of a shore dive when the bottom is close for a visual reference (just don't touch it - learn to keep your bouyancy steady) Soon enough you will be comfortable sharing air at any point in a dive, and your confidence in your buddy will grow by leaps and bounds (really helps curb "anxiety" on a dive when you have confidence in your buddy)

Again - kudos on trying to learn from your experience and welcome to a great sport!

Aloha, Tim

Thank-you, everybody, for posting your replies. All words are very kind, I appreciate that...I think I beat myself up enough yesterday and last night pondering the entire situation. Also, thanks for the invaluable advice. I've read evrything posted, and have made mental notes for preparation for the next dive.
There are a whole lot of things I did wrong on this dive. As I said before, I'm a very cautious person, but I had a major lapse in judgment yesterday that seemed to happen for a reason - it was a lesson one could only learn from through experience.
Like I said earlier, I don't know exactly what happened (perhaps it was the onset of "controlled panic") but in the initial stages of recognizing the danger I was in, my mind and consequent judgment were clouded. I can't exactly say why I didn't surface to achieve the depths I was searching for instead of trying to get there by swimming along the bottom towards shore. Stupid decisions with fortunate results, I guess, is the moral of the story.
I can't say I'm happy all this happened to me yesterday, but I gained a lot of knowledge from it, and now my quest is to learn more about DCI, stops, rule of 1/3s, sharing air, etc.
Thanks again, guys. Keep on posting more info if you can - I'm learning from it!
Charlie99, got your Pms - thank-you for the comments and suggestions. I've read them over and have made notes, as well. I appreciate having fellow board members like you to learn from. Thanks.
BTW, does anyone know if there is a site where one may print off dive tables, istead of paying your first born for them? : - )

a good tool for working on tables (and it comes with a bunch of different ones) is Table Tutor from ScubaToys http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=table+tutor

If you PM Larry from Scubatoys here on the board he will give you a free unlock code, so it's a free program for Scubaboard members.

About the only tables I've seen online that are "free" would be the navy tables and a couple of the GUE/DIR style tables.

Aloha, Tim

Excerpting from your original post...
Then looking at my gauge I noticed I was at ~200 or less PSI. I could feel the air getting harder to breathe, but tried not to panick (too much, anyways!!!). Then, I signalled to my brother that I was out of air, and we quickly attempted to retrieve his Octo. By the time we did this, I "all of a sudden" noticed we were gently breaching the surface; we had ascended without realizing it, albeit fairly well controlled. This was at ~15 ft, to my best recollection. On top of all this, I had to hold onto my brother, manually inflate my BC, and then I had a re-visitation of the cramp, except now it was bad. After my BC was inflated, I swam back to shore on my back.
Two questions:

1> Are you sure the reg breathed hard at 200, or perhaps was it anxiety?

2> On the surface, out of air to inflate the BC (should have take buddy's octo sooner) and a bad leg cramp - on the verge of things going complete to caca. When were you going to drop your weights?

Hello DivetheRock:

No-Decompression Limits

The responders before my response gave some excellent comments. I wish to speak about decompression since that is my forte. All divers should have an estimate of the No-Decompression Limits (NDLs) for the dives performed by recreational scuba divers. In your case, you should have known that the NDL for 40 feet of seawater (FSW) is 200 minutes. This is more than three hours and is beyond what most divers can get out of their scuba tanks.

Therefore, the requirement to decompress would have been out of the question. It would have saved you considerable anxiety, as mention by others.

Pulmonary barotraumas (from holding your breath) is possible from any depth, but its problems present within a few minutes (at most) of surfacing. This is different from decompression obligations.

Safety Stops

These were added about 10 to 15 years ago as a good isafety meassure for divers. They are in addition to the normal decompression that would be performed. If you are far from the NDL for your dive, a “safety stop” is roughly without any practical meaning since you have no decompression obligation. It is important for a diver to learn what is needed.

Decompression

When we speak of decompression tables having a 2% failure rate, it means that 98% of the divers could perform that dive (or one with a bigger gas load) with impunity. I do not want to give the impression that divers can exceed the NDLs and always walk away bends free, but the truth is, many divers are resistant to bubble formation/growth.

A very sad incident occurred in California a few years ago. The diver missed a few minutes of the decompression obligation. Against the urging of the other divers to remain on the boat, and see if a problem developed, the diver hastily assembled gear and reentered the water. A needless death resulted, probably from some equipment failure

It is often said, “The more you know, the longer you live.”:wink:

Dr Deco :doctor:

DivetheRock,

Lots of good advice already given. I'll just offer a couple of suggestions for your consideration: 1) consider putting away your underwater camera for now and focus on improving your basic skills until you've logged more dives and gained more experience, and 2) read your computer manual, play around with the computer (either on land or in a swimming pool) to become more familiar with its readings, features, functions, etc. Happy diving.

60feet:
DivetheRock,

Lots of good advice already given. I'll just offer a couple of suggestions for your consideration: 1) consider putting away your underwater camera for now and focus on improving your basic skills until you've logged more dives and gained more experience, and 2) read your computer manual, play around with the computer (either on land or in a swimming pool) to become more familiar with its readings, features, functions, etc. Happy diving.
Yeah, good suggestions - very good. I don't like to see a diver with a camera for the first 100 dives or so, and I like to computer owner to know his/her very well, running Sims.

Re-read your post a couple of times, and tried to find something wrong with your dive profile... Seems to me the 2-3 minute swim at 10-15 feet *was* a safety stop... (As was the 1-1/2 minutes at half max depth). Couple all that with your controlled ascent, and apparently, you were gold.

The only problem looks like gas management and pre-planning (and, of course, get used to the operation of your 'puter).

DandyDon:
Yeah, good suggestions - very good. I don't like to see a diver with a camera for the first 100 dives or so, and I like to computer owner to know his/her very well, running Sims.

I completely missed the camera angle in my first post. Like a few others here have already stated a camera is something you need to add after you have already mastered the environment you will be diving in. All it does currently is add load and a potential stress factor. Lose the camera for a while until you become completely comfortable in your diving environment, dive another dozen dives, and then add the camera back in. Best of luck to you, dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom