Teric TIDES option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Stock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I searched here and Google and didn't see anything. But it seems like a basic thing that you should be able to set up the tides on a Teric. Or is that asking to much?

Nope - there is no tidal functionality on the Teric. Tides are location dependent and the Teric does not have GPS. It’s not as straightforward as you may think and would likely require a database for local offsets.

I see no point in having this on a Teric - if you need to look up local tides, do it in advance on a computer/tablet or a smartphone.

I searched here and Google and didn't see anything. But it seems like a basic thing that you should be able to set up the tides on a Teric. Or is that asking to much?

I have forever used Shearwater platforms and will continue to (own 3 hardwired Petrel's, and 2 Perdix') but I have to admit the Garmin descent blows the Teric out of the water. I got one of the very first Teric's when the came to try for a while and it was nice but I was so use to the Petrel/perdix platform from years of using Petrels that I did not like the Teric.

I recently picked up a Descent MKS for training (dont actually use it for diving) and the features on it are amazing compared to the Teric and yes it has a Tides feature, also has the weather, sunrise/sunset times, and you can add an app for the wind. Love the built in Spotify and you can download your playlist to your watch so you dont need you phone while working out. And like all Garmin watches all the work out performance tracking features are amazing. Also the alerts and being able to read your phone messages is pretty handy too

I have forever used Shearwater platforms and will continue to (own 3 hardwired Petrel's, and 2 Perdix') but I have to admit the Garmin descent blows the Teric out of the water. I got one of the very first Teric's when the came to try for a while and it was nice but I was so use to the Petrel/perdix platform from years of using Petrels that I did not like the Teric.

I recently picked up a Descent MKS for training (dont actually use it for diving) and the features on it are amazing compared to the Teric and yes it has a Tides feature, also has the weather, sunrise/sunset times, and you can add an app for the wind. Love the built in Spotify and you can download your playlist to your watch so you dont need you phone while working out. And like all Garmin watches all the work out performance tracking features are amazing. Also the alerts and being able to read your phone messages is pretty handy too
That is all stuff that I, personally, have zero use for on a dive computer. If you want all of that extra stuff in a dive computer and want to wear it as a watch/fitness tracker, then, by all means, the Garmin computers are your best (only?) choice.

For me, the screen alone puts the Teric way ahead of the Garmin units for diving.

Totally agree. I will always have a decent as a watch/back up. Undecided on my next primary. Besides the features you can use or chose not to use, it provides the option. Pairs with my garmin inreach mini and most important has long battery life.

That is all stuff that I, personally, have zero use for on a dive computer. If you want all of that extra stuff in a dive computer and want to wear it as a watch/fitness tracker, then, by all means, the Garmin computers are your best (only?) choice.

For me, the screen alone puts the Teric way ahead of the Garmin units for diving.

Yes that is why I said:
I recently picked up a Descent MKS for training (dont actually use it for diving)

I pretty much only dive CC and lots of sub 100m so the Garmin is useless to me for that but I love it as a fitness computer.

For me the Petrel and Perdix screen put it way ahead of the Teric

For me the Petrel and Perdix screen put it way ahead of the Teric
It depends on what you use them for - the bigger screens on the Petral and Perdix (Petral screen is bigger than Perdix but Perdix screen is a bit better colors) certainly allow you to display more and bigger info. I dislike the Petral 2 form factor as it’s too boxy/bulky - the Perdix is far better!

The Teric screen has a higher rez/sharper screen with better contrast (true black background and brighter, more vivid colors). The smaller form factor is also nice and preferred by a lot of people - it allows me to use it as a watch on dive trips. I love the vibration alerts and the floating compass that can display North and a marked heading around the outside of the display.

I dive with both a Perdix AI and a Teric and display different info on both - they are a great combination!

I have forever used Shearwater platforms and will continue to (own 3 hardwired Petrel's, and 2 Perdix') but I have to admit the Garmin descent blows the Teric out of the water.

I love all the "stuff" Garmin offer's, but the buzzing that the transmitter makes and only SOME people hear, would drive me nuts. I couldn't take a $2k chance that I wouldn't use it as a dive watch. Also, customer service. I picked up a Teric as my first DC and my first foray into AI. All Summer I'm driving boat's professionally, the Garmin options are nice to have, but in reality it's all hardwired on the various boats. I think for a stand along DC I'll love the Teric.

Nope - there is no tidal functionality on the Teric. Tides are location dependent and the Teric does not have GPS. It’s not as straightforward as you may think and would likely require a database for local offsets.

I see no point in having this on a Teric - if you need to look up local tides, do it in advance on a computer/tablet or a smartphone.

I drive a boat all Summer and the tides don't really change for the entire running area. So I could set it for my area and be good. In addition to driving boats, I'm diving, fishing and surfing in this same area. They have been making tide watches without GPS for decades, if not longer. High Tide - Light Gunmetal / Teal

Getting OT here but If you need an inexpensive and accurate watch for accurate tides, tide size, moon phases, sunrise, sunset, I would suggest the Casio GBX-100. As mentioned tides are location specific. The Casio uses bluetooth to connect your phone app where you designate a location. Works well for about $160. I use it for surfing and fishing-not diving though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom