Info Teric straps have changed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This may be old news to y'all. But, I received a new Teric today and it came with a totally different strap arrangement than my original Terics came with.

My original Terics came with:

- Normal rubber watchstrap, requiring tools to unscrew and remove the strap pins in order to change the straps.
- A strap extension that adds on to one side of the watch strap to make it longer, for wearing over a drysuit or thick wetsuit.
- Two little hex bit screwdrivers for using to unscrew the strap pins for removal/replacement.

The new Teric came with:

- A watch strap that is like a "normal" watch strap, except that is quick-change hardware, so you can remove/replace it in seconds, with no tools. I just figured it out and R&R'ed one strap without even looking at a manual.
- A shorter replacement strap for one side, for people with smaller wrists, I guess. It is definitely a replacement for one side, not an add-on extension.
- An elastic strap, like a Perdix strap, that has little hooks to hook it onto the strap pins after you remove the "normal" rubber watch strap.

It is definitely good that it came with the elastic strap. The longer watch strap (installed from the factory) is long enough to wear on my bare wrist with only 2" of strap sticking out after the buckle. I don't think it will fit over my 5mm wetsuit. Definitely not over a drysuit.

IMG_2055.JPG

This may be old news to y'all. But, I received a new Teric today and it came with a totally different strap arrangement than my original Terics came with.

My original Terics came with:

- Normal rubber watchstrap, requiring tools to unscrew and remove the strap pins in order to change the straps.
- A strap extension that adds on to one side of the watch strap to make it longer, for wearing over a drysuit or thick wetsuit.
- Two little hex bit screwdrivers for using to unscrew the strap pins for removal/replacement.

The new Teric came with:

- A watch strap that is like a "normal" watch strap, except that is quick-change hardware, so you can remove/replace it in seconds, with no tools. I just figured it out and R&R'ed one strap without even looking at a manual.
- A shorter replacement strap for one side, for people with smaller wrists, I guess. It is definitely a replacement for one side, not an add-on extension.
- An elastic strap, like a Perdix strap, that has little hooks to hook it onto the strap pins after you remove the "normal" rubber watch strap.

It is definitely good that it came with the elastic strap. The longer watch strap (installed from the factory) is long enough to wear on my bare wrist with only 2" of strap sticking out after the buckle. I don't think it will fit over my 5mm wetsuit. Definitely not over a drysuit.

View attachment 848428
Interesting and thanks for sharing! Can you post pics of the new “normal” watch strap?
Also - are the hooks on the elastic strap plastic? How durable do you think they are as I’d be a bit concerned on potential to break and lose the computer? Thanks!

The new Teric.

QR strap attachment. Long strap on watch.

IMG_2056.JPG

Normal strap and short strap.

IMG_2057.JPG

On my wrist, using the longer strap. I'm 6'1", 260 #, and wear L or XL gloves. I think my wrists are kind of on the slender side for a man my size.

IMG_2058.JPG

The elastic strap. I do believe the attachment hooks are plastic. But, you would have to break both of them to lose the computer. If you only break one, the computer will flop around, but not fall off. However, the buckle itself is also plastic. If that were to have a catastrophic failure, you could lose the computer.

IMG_2059.JPG

That is a better design than that extension strap. The other is the new Remora webbing strap, I just ordered an orange one from DGX with my replacement Divesoft sensor.

That is a better design than that extension strap. The other is the new Remora webbing strap, I just ordered an orange one from DGX with my replacement Divesoft sensor.

To clarify for others, as I did not know this or understand what you said.

The elastic strap that came with my new Teric (pics above) is called a Remora Webbing strap and is also offered separately by Shearwater, for USD$20.

"Remora" apparently actually refers specifically to the quick release attachment system.

They also have Remora Silicone strap color kits, if you want a normal, silicone watch strap in a different color, for USD$50.

All are available from Dive Gear Express.

They released that some time ago, that’s same mechanisms Garmin uses, except Garmin has a bungee option.
I don’t understand why shearwater didn’t just go and copied the whole thing, I mean, the computers (perdix, petrel) comes with that elastic bands and most of us remove it in favor of the bungees.
The Garmin ones may just fit anyway, so, someone could possible use them on the shearwaters

They released that some time ago, that’s same mechanisms Garmin uses, except Garmin has a bungee option.
I don’t understand why shearwater didn’t just go and copied the whole thing, I mean, the computers (perdix, petrel) comes with that elastic bands and most of us remove it in favor of the bungees.
The Garmin ones may just fit anyway, so, someone could possible use them on the shearwaters
Garmin has updated theirs, that looks like the previous style and wouldn’t shock me if Garmin straps would fit. The new Garmin still work with older straps.

Back
Top Bottom