Teric Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to 103 ft on two dives and was required to do a 5 min safety stop.
By definition, no "safety stop" is "required". A very good idea, highly recommended, Yes, but "required," No.
Deco stops are, of course, required.

I love my Teric too, but my road has not been a smooth one.

I bought my 1st Teric in May 2019. After 100 dives, it went black screen and was repaired in November 2019. After 3 dives, AI was lost and the computer was replaced, also in November 2019. My 2nd Teric operated perfectly for about 80 dives and then the battery life started to decrease to the point it was consuming 5% per day in idle. It was replaced at 115 dives in May 2021. My 3rd Teric has been working perfectly for 42 dives:). Shearwater service, through Dive-Tronix and Richard and Michele Morton, has been nothing short of amazing.

I do only no stop and light deco dives. I have left my Teric in rec mode with the standard screen. I moved my T1 pressure to the right center position. There are so many choices for the 3rd row that it took me awhile to settle on a layout. For my diving, I currently, I have SurfGF, GTR/SAC, and Temp, left to right. SurfGF has proven valuable for adjusting my safety stop or deco pad, to end at an acceptable GF. I rarely look at GTR except to occasionally compare to ATR on my 11 year old Oceanic VT3, which has proven very accurate. The Teric seems to give a shorter GTR at the beginning of dives but is very close the the VT3 as the end of the dive nears. I only look at SAC after exertion, to get an idea of how much my gas consumption has increased over baseline. I recently dived in Malpelo with significant thermoclines. It was interesting to see that the water temp started at 81 degrees and decreased to 72 degrees below the thermocline. I set my end dive time at 10 min, to avoid having a short surfacing counted as 2 dives. I really like the floating north pointer. I do little real navigation, but often want to know general direction during my drift dives in SE Florida. I set my reserve pressure at 560 psi, to mirror the reserve on my VT3, that already includes the safety stop. In reality, I often surface with less than my reserve pressure, especially when drift diving, with immediate access to the surface at any time. The alarms on my Teric are in silent mode and the audio alarms on my VT3 are off. I get only occasional visual alerts, fast and easy to deal with.

The Teric, on computer log, is quite good and contains significantly more information than I was used to. In addition to basic max depth, dive time, and water temp, I appreciate getting avg depth, start and end pressures, SAC, and start/end CNS O2 exposure. I wish I could input cylinder characteristics and have RMV calculated, but that is a minor complaint. Calculating RMV by multiplying by the cylinder factor is easy.

The Shearwater Cloud desktop app is more than sufficient for my needs, I have it on my laptop, tablet, and phone. I like seeing my end surface GF and being able to view NDL and temp at any point during the dive. The GF graphic is very enlightening, especially during ascent, safety or deco stop, and final surfacing.

The Teric is a great computer, I'm hoping that Shearwater has been able to iron out the wrinkles in its first watch size and rechargable computer. Early adopters have revealed some problems Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Been using my Teric since I splurged for Xmas last year: logged over 35 dives on it, it is fantastic, ZERO complaint here.

Before getting the Teric, I used a bit a Suunto Zoom, it worked but nothing fancy.
I then got a Deepblu Cosmiq+ Gen 5, loved it syncing with my phone and having a color display, but wasn't always easy to read at depth.

At that point was looking for a dive computer with a color screen, bluetooth compatible to sync dives as well as the ability to get air readings from the tank. A compass would be a bonus.

The Teric was a couple hundred dollars more than the other computers I was considering but:
  1. It had all the options I could think of I could ever need in the future (future proof is a major plus)
  2. Shearwater has stellar customer service based on all the feedback I could gather
  3. It is a gorgeous watch too :D
Super happy user here, definitely recommend it!

Yeah, it was. But I missed the perfect timing by a few seconds. The alarm buzzed about 30 seconds before I hit the surface. I see it as a "testing the alarm" scenario. LOL
@inquisit had a subtly different suggestion for you. You appear to use your alarm as a "gotcha" tool to ding you if you surface below your min, while still (hopefully) leaving enough gas to complete your ascent with or without safety stop. A successful dive is a quiet one.
I believe that @inquisit is suggesting you program your alarm to start at "rock bottom" pressure for the max depth of your dive. A dive exactly to plan will be accompanied by an alarm just as you start your ascent. A dive that goes longer than your planned gas usage now provides you with notice that it's time to leave, and you will be almost guaranteed to surface with enough air, because that's what rock bottom calcs do: calculate ascent and stop gas requirements, then add a buffer for a) an OOA buddy, b) having a problem at depth when your usage is high due to depth and stress, or c) both.
A dive that runs short will alarm when you are already making your ascent, and you can silence/cancel it knowing that the reminder is unnecessary.

Attachments

• Rock Bottom Pressure.xlsx
    13.1 KB · Views: 96
Can someone speak to using the Teric with side mount? I would like to do some side mount training and I know the computer can monitor multiple tanks. What I'm wondering is if it can be made aware that it's a side mount setup and account for air usage for multiple tanks used by one diver? Hope that makes sense.

Can someone speak to using the Teric with side mount? I would like to do some side mount training and I know the computer can monitor multiple tanks. What I'm wondering is if it can be made aware that it's a side mount setup and account for air usage for multiple tanks used by one diver? Hope that makes sense.
Not speaking for personal experience, I believe the last update may have done what you need, I just don’t know

I ordered a Teric. I can go through the menus and learn all the features. But can someone give me a heads-up on anything stupid I may do as a newbie that might lock me out of using it for a day of diving? I know some computers will lock you out for hours if you use it wrong. Or share those times when you said to yourself "damnit I wish I hadn't done that". :D

I ordered a Teric. I can go through the menus and learn all the features. But can someone give me a heads-up on anything stupid I may do as a newbie that might lock me out of using it for a day of diving? I know some computers will lock you out for hours if you use it wrong. Or share those times when you said to yourself "damnit I wish I hadn't done that". :D
The only thing I know of that will lock you out is forgetting to charge it.

You will not be locked out for a missed deco stop, however, the behavior is ill advised

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom