Teric Compass Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the confusion. You are talking about declination; I am talking about inclination.
For example:
Suunto Compass Balancing
The vertical intensity and direction of the earth's magnetic field, the inclination, influences the horizontal plane of a compass needle according to the latitude where it is used. Due to inclination, compasses must be balanced for different geographical zones in order to keep the needle in a horizontal position.

Previously, the globe was divided into five different balance zones in which specific compasses functioned. However, as people travel more and more, the need for a compass with a greater geographical range has increased. Thanks to Suunto's 'Two Zone System' there are only two balance zones to consider in compass use — the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere. In practice, this means that a Suunto compass designed for the northern hemisphere will still work for a fair distance into the southern hemisphere, and vice-versa.
And: http://www.mapworld.co.nz/global.html

Short story:
I was teaching the PADI navigation class once upon a time; it ahs three dives: (1) the one everybody is familiar with, from AOW, namely swimming a square; (2) swimming a presignated course with multiple non-right-angle turns and varying distances between the turns; and (3) swimming a "treasure hunt" with pre-laid hidden markers, each giving the distance and bearing to the next marker; you start by telling the student the distance and bearing to the first marker. Dives 1 and 2 went fine, exceedingly well, in fact. the 3rd was awful; the student started out 10-15 deg off from the intended bearing, so couldn't find the first marker. This happened twice, with some discussion and verification of compass-holding technique in between the two tries. Then we took his compass and laid it out on the wooden dock along with half a dozen others compasses borrowed from the observers. All pointed the same direction, except his, which was 10-15 deg off. We loaned him someone else's compass, and he swam the course without issues. Afterwards, he said he'd bought that compass on a trip to Australia. Dives 1 and 2 -- and most UW navigation -- is all relative....you take a sighting on a buoy and then swim to it underwater, for example. the compass could be way off, and that technique would still work. But not all navigation is like that.

Did you invent a new word: “Presignated”?
Or did I just learn a new one?

Did you invent a new word: “Presignated”?
Or did I just learn a new one?
Predesignated was in my brain but evidently not in my fingers.

Predesignated was in my brain but evidently not in my fingers.

Thing is that I understood it immediately. Works better than what you meant to write. You could be onto something! If we all start using it, who knows?

Thing is that I understood it immediately. Works better than what you meant to write. You could be onto something! If we all start using it, who knows?
I don't want to be famous. Let's keep this quiet.....

FWIW I was surprised on my last dive when the compass on my Teric decided to point to 6 o'clock, or in a random direction not associated with North. Fortunately I had an analog backup. Calibrating the compass as seen on You Tube seemed to fix it. The Teric is running v19 and I had only downloaded my log (via Bluetooth) since the last dive, at the same dive site, when the compass worked, .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom