Teric as a daily and multi sport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m sure I could find this in online review but I’ll ask anyway.

is the Teric a watch that can be used as a multi sport and daily wear? I have been using a Garmin swim 2. I got it originally for its ANT+ swim HRM strap and have just worn it as a daily watch and simple training watch. I had high hopes that the Garmin Decent MK2 was going use them same transmitter as my Perdix AI, that way it could be my back up dive comp as well as a daily wear and my swim/cardio trainer. But it looks like it’s going to use some garmin only transmitter, so that now that plan is shot.

can you connect the Teric to a HRM strap? Does it have wrist HRM? Does it count steps?

I would love for my daily wear watch to seamlessly also be my back up dive comp with AI and tri mix

It doesn’t monitor your heart rate. It doesn’t do email. Doesn’t have a pedometer. Screen doesn’t wake up when you have it off and out of the water.
It is just an AI dive computer. But pretty darn good one :)
I love my Teric... probably as much as I love my truck :)

Teric is not a multi-sport capable computer, you can use as a daily wear, about the same size as a Fenix.

I had high hopes that the Garmin Decent MK2 was going use them same transmitter as my Perdix AI, that way it could be my back up dive comp as well as a daily wear and my swim/cardio trainer. But it looks like it’s going to use some garmin only transmitter, so that now that plan is shot.
I am sure this will be a big complaint from a lot of people and why it was a dumb decision by Garmin not to support the most widely used transmitters.

I already have the Mk1 which works very well for what you had planned. I was hoping to one day replace it with the Mk2i but that is pretty much off the table now. Perhaps Garmin will learn from their mistake and the Mk3 will support PPS transmitters.

I am sure this will be a big complaint from a lot of people and why it was a dumb decision by Garmin not to support the most widely used transmitters.

I already have the Mk1 which works very well for what you had planned. I was hoping to one day replace it with the Mk2i but that is pretty much off the table now. Perhaps Garmin will learn from their mistake and the Mk3 will support PPS transmitters.
Yeah that was failry silly of them not to support PPS and their own sonar tech. But i doubt that they will change for Mk3 as they are already fairly deep down the proprietary road...

While it would have given them access to a larger base it seems they are banking on their tech and its additional benefits to sway users.

I like the benefits of the Garmin transmitter with distance. but I don't like that I cant use my existing transmitters. maybe one day they will all use the sonar technology.

My bet is if they do they will make the old obsolete and you will have to buy a new tx then too. Im still wondering if the Garmin will use the tech for other info.

Also wonder when a Teric 2 will be anounced..

I like the benefits of the Garmin transmitter with distance.
That is really only useful if you want to monitor someone else's tank (which I don't). The distance the PPS transmitters work over is more than adequate for monitoring your own tank(s).

That is really only useful if you want to monitor someone else's tank (which I don't). The distance the PPS transmitters work over is more than adequate for monitoring your own tank(s).
The PPS technology is 25 years old and is solid. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, reliably.
I'm not clear on why new technology (including the shift from RF to acoustics) is needed, unless some incredible extra utility is added. What might that be?

I'm not clear on why new technology (including the shift from RF to acoustics) is needed, unless some incredible extra utility is added. What might that be?
The only thing I can think of is the extra distance underwater so you can monitor the tanks of other divers. It seems to be a very limited use case and relies on the other diver(s) also having the Garmin D1 transmitter (which makes it even more limited).

Back
Top Bottom