Tension in Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a better one to read Dan, it was 1962 that West Papua became part of Indonesia: New York Agreement - Wikipedia

Thanks. Interesting reading.

Negotiations always take time. I’m referring to the voice expressed by the native Papuan back in 1946, a year after the Republic of Indonesia (RI) declared independence from Japanese occupation. Of course when Japanese lost the war, the Dutch tried to get their old territory back. Fortunately US, being afraid of communist expansion to South East Asia, favored the RI in keeping Irian as part of RI.

It took 24 yrs (1975 - 1999) of blood shed etc etc for East Timor to get independence from the grip of Indonesia. And I am afraid it will take a lot longer for the Papuan to achieve the same goal.

A handful of men selected by the occupier/oppressor to represent the entire population of the many tribes who are often warring between themselves or have no common dialect to enter into a discourse with the chosen few who have a thorough and clear understanding of what they are signing up for is not a choice made willingly.

I don't see that as having had a voice.

Indonesia had not “inherited” West Papua from the Dutch. The local Papuan (Sosok) leader, Frans Kaiseipo, as shown in new Rp.10,000 bill (below) wanted to be independent themselves from the Dutch and became part of Indonesia back in 1946, hence the name IRIAN was born. It is short for Ikut Republik Indonesia Anti Netherland. Ikut means joining or integrating. You can guess the meaning of the rest of the words. So get the story straight.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/massha...la-nama-irian-jaya-ini-sosok-pencetusnya/amp/

View attachment 537675

First time I read this explanation of Irian. Sounds weird. Would have been Anti Belanda.
Wikipedia: In July 1946, Kaisiepo was the West New Guinean delegate and only Papuan native at the Malino Conference in South Sulawesi. As Speaker, he suggested the territory be called "Irian", explaining the word means "steamy" in his native Biak.
Thanks. Interesting reading.

Negotiations always take time. I’m referring to the voice expressed by the native Papuan back in 1946, a year after the Republic of Indonesia (RI) declared independence from Japanese occupation. Of course when Japanese lost the war, the Dutch tried to get their old territory back. Fortunately US, being afraid of communist expansion to South East Asia, favored the RI in keeping Irian as part of RI.

Fortunately? And the role the US played later in the sixties?

A handful of men selected by the occupier/oppressor to represent the entire population of the many tribes who are often warring between themselves or have no common dialect to enter into a discourse with the chosen few who have a thorough and clear understanding of what they are signing up for is not a choice made willingly.

I don't see that as having had a voice.
Off topic
This is also happening in Hong Kong!
The Chief Executive, Carrie Lam, received 777 votes in her victory. We have nearly 4m registered voters but only a handful few(1,200) were allowed to vote for the Chief Executive.

I have no set opinion on whether West Papua "should be" independent of Indonesia, I will only point out that many revolutions result in a worse situation AFTER than before. One need only look as far as the Arab Spring to see that. Is East Timor working out well for the people? (I am seriously asking).

- Bill

Timor Leste is doing ok. As it was there 20th anniversary last week one of the news stations sent up a journalist to interview the man who became the brand new countries first leader. He questioned himself had it been worth it due to the amount of immediate family members lost in massacres he has a position to speak from. He shrugged his shoulders and had no answer. Australian is still supporting Timor Leste for a variety of reasons and I'm not altruistic enough to believe it has nothing to do with the agreement we have regarding the offshore oil fields.

They are happy, their standard of living has improved as has education and infant mortality rates and they have an improved economy. No one is starving and people do have democratic rights. But they are not quite ready to stand on their own just yet. We provide solid non NGO aid not handing out sacks of rice or funds donations.

It may have taken 20 years to get to this point but the incredible brutality they went through is over. Like Cambodia, they seem optimistic and looking to the future not bent by the past.

If the West Papuans want to be independence from Indonesia and claim they have been victims of decades of human rights abuses by the Indonesian government, then United Nations need to let them vote for their independence & put Indonesian government on trial for such abuses of human rights to go on without consequences.

Fortunately? And the role the US played later in the sixties?

Fortunately for Indonesia due to the political climate at the time (Cold War period). Historically Dutch has been on the US side, especially during WWII. So, if this happened before or after the Cold War, I would guess that the Dutch would still own West Papua.

Also, US gold and copper mining company Freeport-McMoran had an eye to start mining in the resource-rich region, prior to the referendum. So I guess their lobbyists might have whispered something to JFK.

Back
Top Bottom