Tenkiller Scuba Park 8/18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabum2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't had the opportunity to dive much in the last couple of months due to work. Since my wife was celebrating a milestone birthday this last weekend I decided to take her up to Tenkiller, do some diving & maybe rent a boat so we could goof around the lake.

My diving excursion was a bit short lived as we both went down with a bad cold late last week but I was determined to at least get a couple of dives while we were there. I've had to live vicariously (sp?) through other posters since I haven't been up there since 2000. There were a few changes, including the Scuba Park located in Tenkiller State Park where you don't have to pay a fee to get in. That's a first for me. And if I remember correctly, the river channel is right off the point there too.

Managed to just get one dive in though, as I felt awful. Stayed around 35 - 45 ft just at the first thermo and found three boats, the bus and the fuselage off the Air St Barts plane. Vis was around 15 ft and the temp was around 74 F. Couldn't ask for much of a better bottom - rocks and dirt that settles really quickly. Leslie didn't push her luck diving with that head cold.

We stopped by Gene's and chatted with him for a while. I hadn't realized he had moved his shop off the water but he said the road site was a much better location for him plus he got tired of paying for the water rights. He still kept a couple of pontoon boats to take you out to the islands though. It was good seeing him, still the wonderful guy I remebered him to be.

We tooled around the afternoon on a rental pontoon boat from one of the marinas and saw quite a bit of diving going on around the lake. Beautiful lake from topside, but I wish I had gotten in a few more dives... This one's a must next year.

We stayed at the Fin & Feather and it was a great value - the room was excellent, got a discount for an off weekend and the food was good & cheap too. You might try this one if you bring along a nondiver who doesn't want to camp and just wants to hang out while you dive.

Cheers, Mark

I haven't dove in Tenkiller yet but want to. I spent my honeymoon at the Fin and Feather 33 years ago today. I don't remember much about the area from that though.:D

AggieDad,
The area around Fin & Feather is pretty much location central for scuba. You have Gene's a mile or so up the road and then the park about 3 or 4 miles after that. I've had several breakfasts at the Fin & Feather after camping at Strayhorn Landing, hung over as dirt, but had never stayed there until a few days ago. It was really pleasant - they know how to run a resort there. If you go back, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at what a compound they have - lots of stuff to do topside especially if you bring along the kids or grandkids. And by the way, Happy Anniversary!

Scubabum2.... I can't think of a better place to hang then right where you were.
Yes, it drops off into the abis just a little ways outside the scubapark ( and not really all that far either ) at about 60 feet you'll hit a wall that goes all the way down...
( 'sounds seductive doesn't it ? :wink: I love that place. I want to go there and spend a weekend with the Sirens sometime soon. Right around the corner from there off of Crappie Point is Sneaky Cavern.

Kookie stuff is a Goin' on there fer sure :wink:

It took us about 4 hrs from Plano and that was dealing with traffic on a Friday afternoon through McKinney and then coming back stuck in a wreck at of course, at McKinney, for about 30 minutes. I've done it in 3 1/2 without speeding much but I'm a little bit gun shy in Oklahoma after an acquaintantce was pulled over and the cop around McAlister wanted him to pay the fine then & there. Don't know if that's an out of state thing or what.

Frank - thanks for confirming my recollection that the deep river bed is right there between the park and Goat(?) island. You do have everything in one spot - a nice little park and those depths where the sirens lurk. Love finding those old cans down there, like the old diet Dr Pepper in blue. Found an old Miller light can this time with the white decor - that's been there a while.

I can leave Paris, Tx. at 9:30 am .. stop at the food store in Gore , OK. Then park and gear up at DX Landing where the Scuba Park is and be dropping off over the wall ledge at 65 feet looking into the blackness of the old river channel ...........By 12:30 pm that afternoon......... All but the last 8 miles is rural interstate or Indian Nation Turnpike.

If I take The Retro Gypsy Girl RV add an hour to that since I have to sign autographs along the way
:lotsalove:

Huh? Paying fines then and there on the spot ???? That's illegal in OK. I am originally from OK; in fact, just about 30 miles from Tenkiller is where I was born and raised. Interesting story, really.

Timeliner is always right. Tenkiller is a great dive site. I am just now beginning to rediscover it after living in TX for 15 years. The drive time takes me between 4.5 and 5.0 hours from south Arlington. Entire drive except the last 8 miles or so is bona fide U.S. Interstate or the older U.S. highway system. U.S. highway system looks a lot like interstate but don't let if fool you. It runs through towns and cities; and the little towns in Oklahoma like to run speed traps. It's just a way of life. Still, demanding payment on the spot is illegal. Very interesting.

JR

As a High Way driver ... I'm a paranoid old Fart that has not recieved a ticket in over 15 years so I know a little about avoiding that speed trap stuff :wink:

Just Slow Down !!! :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom