Tenkiller Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Friday and Saturday at Tenkiller was excellent. I went to DX and Crappie Point. I headed out past the scuba park boundries and towards the old river channel and at 65 feet "Bingo" there was a cool wall that drops off straight towards the bottom of the lake. It was darker down there then at the surface but but you could still see without your light. My UK C8 did come in handy though.
I would have enjoyed going down past 75 to the river bottom at 134 feet but I figured I was already deep enough to look around. It was really cool and there are not to many trees in the way just some way crazy overhead envirnments so I just plugged along for awhile and then came back up passed the Scuba Jesus Skeleton and kicked around the bus, plane and boat at the Aquatic Park. I basically did that trip twice Friday. Saturday I did Crappie Point and went to about 65 feet and headed South. Thats a crazy area and a place a person could get into a lot of trouble with navigation. The overhangs there are way cool and cave like. There I was without my cave real.... Oh well , maybe next time. I'm gong to bring along a wreck/cave buddy or 2 and find the bottom and see what the story is all about. Vis. was no worse then 6 at anytime during all of my dives and at times extended to at least 15 feet. The surface temp was quite nice and in the 80's. the first thermo. was around 30 I guess and it went to the low 70's and the vis got better. The second thermo was at 45 feet the temp. dropped into the 60's and after that it just got colder and clearer the farther down I went.
At 75 feet it was 54 degrees. I wore just the bottom 1/2 of my 7 mm farmer john the first dive but after that I wore the top part as well and enjoyed very comfortable dives. I picked up a topo map of the lake and already have some cool dives planned out for the next visit.
I recomend Lake Tenkiller and would gladly go up there again.

I am so jealous.

Great report! I should've went to the scuba park...

I really didn't see any fish the other week

richerso !!! Hey dude ... Yea you've been wanting to go there and you'd like the place. We should do a couple of good days there sometime.

TwoBitTxn
Fish... Yep lots of really friendly little ones at about 20 feet for sure and a few lunkers
Below the second thermo where I like to go they usually don't hang out much

Timeliner
A couple of other places to look if you're dressed for the cold. The state park is on the south side of Pine Cove. Look then drive to the north side of Pine Cove, underneath the bluff you can see. Lots of very big rocks, with some big trees laying crossways. This is where the old river chanel comes in close to shore and the visability is very good. You can drive to the top of the bluff, but it is easier walking to drive along the water about half way, then swim with a floating flag about 100 yards to the start of the bluff.
Another, favorite is along the south side of the first island out from the dam. The river chanel is just off shore, and steep rocky drop offs are exciting and you can go past 100 feet without being too far from shore.
With local help, you can take a rough road out to the end of Burn Cabin point, with deep bluffs, or drop offs. Good diving.

Mudhole... have you ever seen any of the deep water Sirens up there at Tenkiller ?
I bet they are there :14:

I like that lake and could just hang out there and dive all the time. It may be just a bit too cold, dark and clear for most people but I guess my kind of Heaven isn't for everybody:wink:

Timeliner, I have to agree with you on this one. Maybe I'm just partial to Tenkiller since I certified there, but I absolutely love diving it - even if the viz does stink sometimes. I'm always looking for a good day trip to Tenkiller on the weekends if you guys ever need a tag-along! I haven't even been there this summer! That's insane!!

Yea, that whole area at Tenkiller is kinda cool.
I got my open water cert. there as well.
Good ole Tim Knight... @ Nautical Adventures

He takes ya down to 20 feet...
Sits ya on a stump...
Has ya do yer skills :D

The Vis there below 45 feet isn't bad really for a lake . It is chilly but that is to be expected. The Chicken fried steaks across the street from the park at Big Daddy's Drive In are good too.
Galscuba you could work there.... All the waitresses are blond and smile a lot :wink:

I know the sirens are there. I have heard them calling to me since I got certified there. TJ from Nautical Adventures was my instructor.

These gas prices are a killer! If it wouldn't cost $75 in fuel, I'd be up for some day trips. But I just can't spend that much right now. Sadly, I think I'm done diving for the year. Got lots of medical bills on the CC to pay off. Hopefully I can get more diving in next year.

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom