Tenkiller conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaltnShar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any current reports on Lake Tenkiller viz and temp. I'd like to go on Thursday (7/19) afternoon, but if the viz is less than 10' it might not be worth the drive.

WaltnShar:
Does anyone have any current reports on Lake Tenkiller viz and temp. I'd like to go on Thursday (7/19) afternoon, but if the viz is less than 10' it might not be worth the drive.

Vis. at depth is always pretty good. Once you hit the point of turning on your dive light Tenkiller always performs. The times I've been there at DX and Crappie Point things start to look pretty good at 40 feet and just get better as you go down. 'Sorta like Broken Bow but somehow different. The 1st. Thermo. at Tenkiller does not seem to block the Sun light as much as at Broken Bow so it's brighter there but more hazy blue to aqua green. Broken Bow is darker shades of green and gold tone light but the water is clearer I think.

Do not ... Repeat, Do not , expect things to be wonderfull above 35 feet anytime there. It just isn't made to be that way 'cause the Sirens don't want it that way. Those are cold blooded Women and you just gotta suit up to go visit them. They will see that you have a good time !

Shoot... just go there and dive till you find you're heart's desire 'cause it is there. If you are new to diving, and it looks like you might be, just learn to love bad vis and treasure 2-4 feet vision while you search for the clear spots.
The best thrills of diving can be in lakes. Cozumel may be pretty but there is little emotional satisfaction outside of the LSD colors of the fish.
On the other hand, Lake diving is like Opium .................

Thanks for the advice. Yes we are both new OW certification about a month ago. This past weekend we just did our Nitrox and Peak Perf specialties as well as dive 1 of the Nav.

We are both waiting on our 2-piece 5mm suits to get here so at the moment anything below 65 degrees is pretty uncomfortable in our 3/2's.
Its been years since I have been to Tenkiller. Is the area you are talking about on the east or west side of the lake? I assume pretty close to the dam in either regard?
If I can talk my wife into taking a few hour break from her graduate class, we may try to go down there Friday morning and see what the conditions are like.

Thanks again.

WaltnShar ~~

No Prob.

We all started some place and most of us not long ago.

I checked out at DX landing at Tenkiller a few years back and close to 200 dives later it's a favorite of mine still.

It takes a bit of time to understand the "value" in lake diving but once you do....... :wink:

Go easy on the Wife... unless she is the hard charger , If she is follow her !
If not, go slow and dress warm and try not to be Macho. Besides.. she probablly already thinks your macho so don't kill it :D
Most of all have fun !

I was there this past weekend. Timeliner is pretty much spot on. From the surface down to 30 ft we had anywhere from 2ft to 6ft. From there down we had anywhere from 8ft to 20ft. Temp was 55 degrees at 70 ft. Low 80's at the surface. The lake is up 10+ ft so if you go to DX Landing (aka the scuba park). All of the attractions can be found at 40ft which is actually convienient because at that depth the vis is quite good (good as in 10-12ft good). Lots of boat traffic cruising buy and the high water level had DX stirred up big time in the shallows. So don't get discouraged if it looks a little muddy at the entry.

Tenkiller is about 12 miles north of interstate 40, and stretches about 23 miles to the north from the dam. Much of the diving is in the southern half of the lake. Mid lake are Snake creek area on the east side of the lake, and Burnt Cabin on the west side. Closer to the dam are Pine Cove state park on the east side of the dam and Strayhorn Landing a short distance north on the west side of the lake. There are two dive shops on the lake, Gene's is on the road, 10 A to Strayhorn; Nautical Adventures on highway 82 near Cookson Bend. Both dive shops have air and will give you advise on where to dive.

Because of the record rains in Oklahoma the lake is high and lots of water and mud have recently washed in. . . the creeks carry the mud in and the mud usually flows toward the dam. That will leave areas not affected by immediate flows, clearer. With a boat, you can go upstream from these muddy areas and find better viz, or go out to the islands and again find better viz.

Without a boat, drive across Tenkiller Dam and watch the bluffs close to the dam. This is the Crappie point area. . . If there is a muddy color, there will be a dividing line with the blue you can see from your car. Turn in at the state park and drive north, you have reached the diving park when you stop at the water. The bouyed area is the diving park. Look around to see if the recent rains have swept mud out of Pine Cove, it will wrap around the park area. If it is muddy there, look to the bluffs on the other side of the cove, it is usually clearer there. There is a map of the park at the entrance, it will show you the road to circle the cove and take you near this bluff area with a swim. Another choice is to go back across the dam, turn north to the Strayhorn Landing entrance, go into the campground and choose either the north or south side of the park. This will be a shallower dive, pick out the rockier areas and enjoy a shallow dive with the sunfish.

Be sure to fly a dive flag. . . the lake patrol will write tickets. If you don't have one, I think both dive shops will rent one.

After flying over Tenkiller this morning it looks pretty good. Some lake structure is visible from what appears to be 5 -10 feet. As the water drops, does the viz typically get better or worse? Will lights be required at the 40-50ft depth?

If you stop in at Nautical Adventures in Cookson you can pick up a Topographic fishing map of the entire lake that is about 6 large pages and printed on waterproof material. It cost about $7. It folds up to a nice BCD pocket size too. It will show you the lake above and below the waterline with all the features like roads , bridges houses ect. and you can even take it along on the dive if you like :D
With it you can find where the good wall dives are pretty easy.
It's USGS so it's accurate. It's well worth the price !

Thanks, I'll pick one up. Looks like I'll be able to check out the area on Thursday morning. I have a meeting in Muskogee and I'll probably sneak over there after that.

Thanks again

Hey Timeliner I must have went by ya. I pasted through there working my way down to Athens to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom