tell me more about gulf shores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozziegirl

Reaction score
My husband and I are going to Gulf Shores next weekend. I read about the barge, what else is the best to dive there? Is it similar to the type of diving you can expect in Panama City Fla.?

You need SuPrBuGmAn. I am sure he will be more than happy to clue you in on the best shor dives in the area. From Fort Morgan all the way to Panama City. He is the man. He will be along shortly. Have fun. There is great diving that is free all along the Alabama and Florida gulf coast. He likes the free diving. Me too for that matter.

SuPrBuGmAn is the way to go he's like having apersonal guide.

Jetties & The wiskey

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, no no no no no.

Its horrible. It stinks, the vis is pathetic, there are sharks everywhere.... um um um um the surf will suck you under and spit you out 10 miles off shore....

You believe me?

There are 2 dive shops in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach-Down Under & Gary's Gulf Divers. The boat dives are all on artificial reefs. D.U. has a trip to the Oriskany on the 28th. Both are good reliable shops. Beach dives are limited to really two locations-Perdido Pass & The Whiskey Wreck. Both are shallow and not that special. I would look into a boat dive. I live in the G.S./O.B. area. PM me if I can assist you with restaurants, etc. Also my hometown is Starkville.

There are some natural bottom reefs off Pensacola/Orange Beach, Trysler, Dutch Banks, ect. The majority is definately artificial, lots of barges, tugs, few liberty ships, tanks, boxcars, planes, rigs, rubble, lots of other ships as well. Oriskany is within reach from Orange Beach, the local shops are running there pretty much every week. Diving conditions are quite similar to Panama City Beach, which means, it can be crap, and it can be simply awesome.

Lots of beach dives, but the ones you'll hear about are the Alabama Point Jetties and the Whiskey Wreck. The Whiskey Wreck covers and uncovers with the movement of the sandbars, at the moment, its extremely exposed and a very cool dive - better than alot of dives that I've had to pay to visit. Lots of life as well.

So whats your rate now SBM? *waves hooters gift card for $10 in your face* :rofl3:

Edit: Speaking of hooters, I have a wetnap here, that says, "Does the name pavlov ring a bell?" Wth does that mean?

frankc420:
So whats your rate now SBM? *waves hooters gift card for $10 in your face* :rofl3:

Edit: Speaking of hooters, I have a wetnap here, that says, "Does the name pavlov ring a bell?" Wth does that mean?

And just think it wasn't at that long ago he could be had for a Red Bull or two

frankc420:

Pavlov had a theory that certain areas/functions of the brain could be triggered by memory. He rang a bell before feeding his dogs for quite awhile. After the dogs were used to it, he would ring the bell and note that the dogs would drool at the sound, despite there being no food. Edumacation dude!

Thanks for the advice guys. I've never done a shore dive in the Gulf before. Only in Cozumel. Might have to try it. TwoBitTxn, you're mean! :) I don't believe you. I have had some rough dives in Panama City, Fla. though but also some awesome ones.
By the way, I'm so glad I don't have that hooters, wet nap problem!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom