Tell me about your PSD team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keeth1123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am asking this question for a specific reason and for comparison purposes.

First, I would like you to list what gear you would use on any given PSD dive. (dry suit, BCD, etc.)

Secondly, I would also like to know if that gear includes a pony bottle for each diver? If so, how is it mounted? Has it been used? what are the pros and cons of your system?

Third, if you do not use a pony bottle, what safety practices does your team have in place?

Lastly, have you personally had a situation where you had to deploy rescue measures for a fellow diver during a PSD dive?

Also, does your team look at standards such as OSHA to shape and guide the team requirements?

First, I would like you to list what gear you would use on any given PSD dive. (dry suit, BCD, etc.
Our team uses either wet suits or semi dry suits for exposure protection, weight integrated BCD's, regulator setup has a FFM and octopus along with dive computer. Our team receives little to no funding from the participating departments so each member has to purchase their own gear. We try to keep it standardized for each member but the pre-dive safety check allows the team to familiarize themselves with each others equipment. Each diver also wears a chest harness. We have been fundraising for over 2 years just to get a comm system with 3 dedicated FFM and regulators.

Secondly, I would also like to know if that gear includes a pony bottle for each diver? If so, how is it mounted? Has it been used? what are the pros and cons of your system?
Again, due to funding we currently have one pony tank which I personally purchased. It is currently set up as with a side mount (slung) configuration via clips to attach to the BCD and a regulator worn as a necklace. How the system works is the primary diver has the pony with him, when his shift is done he hands off the tank to the next primary diver. We are currently training with this in the pool so it has not been deployed on any missions yet. We are still trying to decide if it will stay with the side slung system or switch to a tank mount system.

Third, if you do not use a pony bottle, what safety practices does your team have in place?
We currently keep a contingency pack set set up near the tender and back up diver. it is an aluminum 80 with an old style backpack and 5 pounds of weight along with a regulator on a long hose. If needed the back up or 90% diver can take the tank to the primary diver as an emergency air source.

Lastly, have you personally had a situation where you had to deploy rescue measures for a fellow diver during a PSD dive?
In the 18 years the team has been in existence and being a founding member we have been fortunate enough not to have had to deploy safety/back up measures to rescue another diver. We are prepared due to our monthly training where we practice rescue/emergency scenarios at each drill.

We use NFPA as our guideline and our SOG's and training standards are based on them.

Our team tends to dive OTS guardian full-face masks, Scubapro hydros BCD (most use integrated weights. I split mine between my BC and a weight harness (DUI). We dive dry suits (mine is DUI). Our divers have pony bottles available. I like diving a slung cylinder on a gas block manifold depending on the mission. I tend to consult 29 CFR 1910 for OSHA's rule book. I see NFPA is used also. I'll have to check those out (thank you for that). Of course gloves and hoods. The down side to my slung cylinder is that it can be between myself and a vehicle hook up, etc. I can see advantages to a back mount. We have never had to deploy a rescue for a fellow PSD, thank goodness.

Back
Top Bottom