Tell me about your 1st Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BAD!!! the dm dint even brief us, it was our first night dive. we got lost bec dm followed a stingray into deeper water. we got lost, surfaced amidst a raging storm which crashed us into the shore. their were boulders and sharp rocks in the shore. had to swim, no prior experience of shore entry. the waves were battering us into the rocks with frieghtening force lots of scrapes, bruises, lost fins and a very traumatized GF. we were lucky to have escaped with minor injuries.

My first night dive was a shore dive, and my first dive after OW - terrible buoyancy control, sand everywhere and a strong feeling that it was more a sensory deprivation exercise than fun! Second time going down an anchor chain and freaked out about dark and had to ascend. Kept trying with the shore dives and it gradually got better till now I love them! Best one ever was on the President Coolidge wreck in Vanuatu - down to 30m with no torches, bio lum everywhere, and then inside the wreck to see flashlight fish everywhere - was an incredible experience - hovering in pitch black with flashing lights all around - was like flying in the night sky! Awesome!

My first night dive was in 1974 when I was in the military, it was off a pier to practice roped diver drills. You went down alone with a line attached to you and, once on the bottom you signaled via the line that you were on the bottom then you got signals on the direction you had to go....up, down, left, right, forward or back wards this was done without any lights. At one point they stopped me and when I tried to rest on the bottom it wasn't there ! I soon discovered I was over a hole and managed to spread eagle and just get my fins and hands on the edge. As I lay there in the dark I imagined every creature under the sun was going to come out of that hole and drag me in. I did not see one thing in the entire dive. I did a few of the but must admit you never get used to it and I'm not in any kind of a rush to do it again.

cdiver2:
As I lay there in the dark I imagined every creature under the sun was going to come out of that hole and drag me in.

imagination is your worst enemy. nothing like imagining what you cant see.

I Remember my first night dive, seeing it's the only one I've done so far, like it was yesterday. We went to an inland sinkhole for our 2*/AOW. It was quite a chilly night and our first visit to this location. We did 2 dives earlier that day to acclimatise. Quite a few of the group were sceptical. New spot, cold, dark...

When we eventually convinced everyone to come along it was amazing!
As you venture down the steps to the water level, you become mesmerized by the cyalumes in the distance of divers in front of you, and those just returning from their dive.

We descended to approx. 35 ft and just enjoyed following our DM around. Off course he was rather difficult to spot, even with his solid yellow rebreather and our torches flickering a thousand strobes...

We are going up to Mocambique in 2 weeks and we are planning to do our first Night dive in the ocean.

It really is an amazing experience, as long as you can trust your Buddy and your DM, you will do just great!

Spoon:
imagination is your worst enemy. nothing like imagining what you cant see.

I think the thing that got me through this the first one was the fear of failing the drill...Amazing the power of a S/Maj and friends :D

Christi:
Just a question...I assume you will be in Cozumel on a cruise ship based on your comment that you will be here until 11:00. Will you also be diving during the daytime in Cozumel?

Hi Christi,
Yes we were planning 1-2 dives during the day and possibly the night.

I caught 4 lobster, and have been a buggin' fool ever since!

My first night dive was a blast, 100 ft vis off Hawaii's big island. We were looking for mantas-didn't see any. But the corals and fish were great. It was easier keeping track of a buddy there at night with lights, then in the mirk of a Texas lake during the day time (also with lights). Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom