Tell me about the Stolt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm hoping to do a few dives with family in NJ. I see that Hunterdon scuba has a trip scheduled with Gypsy Blood to dive the Stolt at the time I can head to NJ. What can anyone tell me about diving on the Stolt?

I did a brief search and saw a couple of folks mention strong current. Is this the norm, occassional, rare???

Any other suggested sites??

Stolt Dagali

stolt_dagali_1.jpg

Stolt is the name of the line that owned the ship; it translates as "mountain" or "pride". Dagali is a city in Norway. Sunk Thursday November 26, 1964 ( Thanksgiving day ) in collision with the liner Shalom with 19 casualties

The wreck of the Stolt is very impressive, even though now greatly deteriorated. Compared to the sketch below (1982), the smokestack, mast, and much of the upper works have fallen away. Not shown is the large debris field around the wreck. Visibility is usually good, sometimes good enough to see the top of the wreck from the surface, and the sight of this huge wreck when it first looms into view as you descend the anchor line is extraordinary. There is something awesome about this shipwreck that is somehow lacking in the nearby planned artificial reefs.

stolt_dagali_sketch.jpg

The port side of the ship is now the top of the wreck. On one side the smooth hull slopes down into the depths. This area is very reminiscent of a Caribbean wall dive ( minus the coral, ) as this surface is covered with hydroids and anemones of various colors, encrusting sponges, mussels, and swarms of fish against a background of bright orange rust. At one end the curve of the stern is unmistakable, while the other end of the wreck, where ship was severed, is just a jumbled mess. The fourth wall of the wreck is formed by the aft superstructure, sticking out sideways from the former deck. This area is slowly opening up and collapsing, and there are huge interior spaces with wide openings that may be easily penetrated.

There's always a nice current here in NJ; the Stolt isn't necessarilly any more prone to such.

I think I'll be on that same trip, so I'll be on the lookout for you. Call Don Beiger at Hunterdon Scuba to book the trip. Tell him Ray Purkis sent you!

See link below for info on the Gypsy Blood - Ray

I dove the Stolt last Sept and it was pretty stiff. The DM rolled over the side to set the hook and we had to back the boat up, toss out a line for him to get to the carolina rig to head on down.

Usually the tie in is at the bow @60ft. If you stay on the leeward side of the ship, in RJP's picture, where the divers are on the line, it's not bad at all. Surge is pretty good on it as well.

We had fantastic viz on it that trip. Lots of tropicals, it was probably the best wreck dive that I've done thus far. Biggest problem with the Stolt is getting blown out. Our club scheduled several dives before we got one.

It's a great trip! Never dove with the Gypsy Blood but have heard good things about it.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom