Question Tektite Strobe Light Corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelGas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a Strobe light that ran on 2 C batts. I put it away for storage and thought I did the smart thing by removing the batts. When I checked it, there was a fair amount of corrosion on the contacts. With baking soda and water paste I was able to remove about 80% of the corrosion, but the light which used to work great, is still not working.

Any ideas on how to remove the remainder of Corrosion that the baking soda could not or is this light done?

That sucks. I just got one, hoping it lasts.

Did you leave it stored open or closed? Moisture ever get in? Saltwater?

A buddy flooded his a few weeks back in fresh water, he aired it out right away, said it worked again. Could always give manf. a shout, see what they say..

Try and mixture of 50% white vinegar and 50% water applied to the contacts with a tooth brush. Scrub it good, clean it off. Clean the contacts with some DeOxit Gold. the pens work well; they are expensive, but also last a lon g time.

If it doesn't clean up, send it back to tektite. They will send you a new one if it isn't fixable and charge a very nominal fee.

That sucks. I just got one, hoping it lasts.

Did you leave it stored open or closed? Moisture ever get in? Saltwater?

A buddy flooded his a few weeks back in fresh water, he aired it out right away, said it worked again. Could always give manf. a shout, see what they say..
I stored it closed. I guess that was bad ?
To my knowledge it has never been flooded.

I stored it closed. I guess that was bad ?
To my knowledge it has never been flooded.

Idk. I mean, hindsight being 20/20 it was salt or moisture. Moisture would have dissipated with it left open, salt would not have.

I personally try to add silicone lube to anything with rings,... lights, dry gloves, etc.

My buddy's that flooded does not seem to do that.. I've seen his o rings, they're not pretty🤣. Not sure what your maintenance schedule is? On o rings?

Idk. I mean, hindsight being 20/20 it was salt or moisture. Moisture would have dissipated with it left open, salt would not have.

I personally try to add silicone lube to anything with rings,... lights, dry gloves, etc.

My buddy's that flooded does not seem to do that.. I've seen his o rings, they're not pretty🤣. Not sure what your maintenance schedule is? On o rings?
Its not O Rings, mine have silicone grease on them. It is the 200 model and I am surprised it is still made. I will likely send it in and see what they say.

I shipped my Tektite Model 200 back the Tektite Saturday. They received it today and emailed me today. My Strobe was a Xenon version that is no longer made. Battery corrosion was the issue, not salt water leakage.

They recommend storing their strobes with no batts in it inside a zip loc bag. Which is basically what I had done, but likely it was ruined before going into storage. They were very pleasant to deal with. I called them to give a CC info and a $20 charge so that a replacement Model 200 LED could be sent out to me the same day they received my broken one. I believe their Model 200 LED is about a $70 light rated to 500’ and flashes 2X per second.

Stellar Customer Service from Tektite. Every company I buy product from should be as good to deal with as Tektite. Also, thanks to Tracy for telling me to send it in to them. It went there and back again in less than one week.

I shipped my Tektite Model 200 back the Tektite Saturday. They received it today and emailed me today. My Strobe was a Xenon version that is no longer made. Battery corrosion was the issue, not salt water leakage.

They recommend storing their strobes with no batts in it inside a zip loc bag. Which is basically what I had done, but likely it was ruined before going into storage. They were very pleasant to deal with. I called them to give a CC info and a $20 charge so that a replacement Model 200 LED could be sent out to me the same day they received my broken one. I believe their Model 200 LED is about a $70 light rated to 500’ and flashes 2X per second.

Stellar Customer Service from Tektite. Every company I buy product from should be as good to deal with as Tektite. Also, thanks to Tracy for telling me to send it in to them. It went there and back again in less than one week.
Yep, they are a class act to deal with. Both for their customers and distributors. I don't sell a lot of their products, but what I sell is good quality, backed up with good service.
Glad they got it sorted out for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom