Tekna 2nd stages Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jac11819

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was just wondering if anyone out there is still using any of the different models made by Tekna? If so, where can I get some service parts for them?
Thank you,
Jose

I use them still but I have almost stopped. I have given away free almost all of my parts and simply have no more to provide.

Yes, I dive them, yes I have all models and multiples of each. I have been slowly getting rid of them now that I have no more parts. I have but two T2100Bs and two T2100s and one T2100BX. I have about ten of the MkV clone swivel turret first stages.

Nope, nobody has parts anymore. I did kinda know a person with a few parts but have not spoken with him in a while and a computer crash lost the email.

It is to bad, but the Teknas are at the end of their useful life due to no parts. The first stage tilt valve seal is the main problem, I have nearly 100 NOS tilt valves and not but two of them are still any good. The seal material decays and turns to goo.

DSCF0006.jpg

Nothing but bad news for a really cool regulator.

N

N,
Thanks for all the valuable information. The ones I have all leak very slightly. I think the LP seat are shot. I was hoping to find at the least one LP seat to enjoy the reg one last time.
Well, like you said "Nothing but bad news for a really cool regulator".
V/R,

When I said "first stage tilt valve seal" I meant second stage tilt valve seal. If your second stage is leaking that is probably the culprit. Sorry for the typo.

N

You probably know how the second stage works but just in case. The tilt valve is connected to the ambient diaphram. When the tilt valve is displaced (when the diver initiates an inhalation) the air trapped in the balance chamber escapes resulting in a drop in pressure within the balance chamber compared to the pressure inside the intermediate hose (the LP hose). This drop in pressure is seen by the main flow diaphram and it flexes outward offseating from the myriad of tiny drilled holes in the back side of the second stage body resulting in a powerful and large flow of air to the diver. The tilt valve is called a pilot valve or a pneumatic servo valve and is not directly connected to the flow diaphram. This pneumatic multiplier effect is what allows the Tekna to have a very small ambient diaphram (a little over an inch in diameter) and a low cracking effort and still provide all the air a diver could need or use.

N

N,
I'll double check the reg again. One more try does not hurt.
Thanks again,

Just trying to figure it out for you. If the tilt valve is leaking then the presssure in the balance chamber never equals the IP and this results in the main flow diaphram flexing outward enough to initiate a slight flow of air.

I have made a new seat in the tilt valve cup by removing the circlip and cleaning the "goo" that was once a seal from the tilt valve cup and then squirting the hardest RTV into the cup. Then once dry I use a single edge razor blade to trim the excess. This sometimes sorta works. I also tried a polyurethane two part glue and had better results. The thing is that the seal cup is very small and diffucult to work with.

I have also made new main flow diaphrams with a piece of hard rubber and an aluminum rivet double flused into the cneter. Then I drill the rivet with a drill bit the same size as the original hole in the center metal orifice, if you follow.

The two consumable items on the second stage are the tilt valve (seal) and the main flow diaphram which often takes a set or gets stiff. BTW, that diaphram does not like to be repositioned from it's original position as it tends to take a set.

N

Thanks again for all the valuable information. Now that you mentioned it, when I refered to LP seat, I was actually talking about the tilt valve. I will try your method of creating a new seat. I have tried it with a glue that LDS sells to repair wetsuits. I just can't think of the name right now. Basically the same way mentioned. I did not have much luck with that. Well, back to the drawing board.

PM me your address and I will send you a couple of tilt valves to experiment with.

N

I was just wondering if anyone out there is still using any of the different models made by Tekna? If so, where can I get some service parts for them?
Thank you,
Jose

Yes, I am still diving my Tekna T2100BX regulators. I had to give it up for a couple of years until I came across a Scubaboard member (TavernierBob) who still services them. He serviced 2 complete sets of them for me earlier this year so I know he still has parts but don't know whether or not he will sell parts only. His turnaround time was about one week for my regs. Here is a link that will get you to his website.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pa...it/224734-scuba-repair-express-has-moved.html

Back
Top Bottom