TekDiveGirl / Kimber Hawkens Thurman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B

Kimber/TekDiveGirl storyteller and memory keeper
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My Dear Sweetie, Kimber Hawkins Thurman / TekDiveGirl
who I met here on ScubaBoard in the MOF/NMOF thread some 13 years ago passed away suddenly. 9/28/1970 - 4/2/2019
Kimber gown.jpg

This would have been her on 4/17/19 graduating from Cal State San Marcos with a Bachelor's Degree in psychology.

from her son, edited by me:
"She was 48 years old, survived major brain surgery in 2004, an AGE bilateral stroke due to a PFO in 2006, woke up from a coma that doctors said she had a 5% chance of survival, she managed to power through 13 more years to see all three of her kids graduate high school and see their 21st birthdays.
More than surviving, she did everything she could to thrive. She approached physical therapy with a passion that I can hardly describe and gained independence despite her injuries.
She was graduating Cal State San Marcos next month with a Bachelors Degree in the field of psychology and had already applied for grad school.
She took the GRE test just this past Saturday.
She always said that one of her big regrets was that she never got a degree, and I can't explain how unbelievably proud I am that she managed to do it even though she won't be able to walk her graduation next month.
She had an extremely supportive network of friends and peers and she said that the only thing she wanted to do was to work with other people who had suffered brain injuries, so she could be the type of person that helped her through so much.
I would say rest in peace, but she wouldn't like that idea ... whatever afterlife she's in, she's gonna **** **** up over there."

Continue to kick ass and take names Sweetie :jump: :flowers: :heart:

I love telling this story about how we met.
I had known her only online from the MOF thread on ScubaBoard and only seen her in person a couple of times when she invited me with her friends to meet at a local eatery (planning on a dive get together for the MOF and I had discussed doing a dive to the destroyer Yukon to see how thing would go - me being a new diver) but then she had her accident, very limited info coming out, and her family did not want her location known or any visitors.
Well , Missdirected found out where she was and so 13 years ago I snuck into ER on a mission from the MOF to bring her their tidings.
I go in when someone comes out, looking and roaming around the ER looking for her .. did not recognize her at first, face swollen, pipes out of her neck , and doctors are in there with her , trying to stay as inconspicuous as possible waiting for my chance to see her , and nope, a doctor asks me if I need help and says would you like to wait with her mom in the ER waiting room? ... AcK! I'm terrified , what is her mom going to say? [I'm thinking it will be .. who the *** are you and what are you doing here?] .. nope, she was most gracious and after they were going to leave she asks if I've got a chance to her daughter yet? no, so she leads me over to her and I give her all the good tidings and prayers from her friends on ScubaBoard ...
After she woke from her coma but still couldn't move, and was recovering in the ICU I went to see her , her mom was there and she was surrounded by family ... I walk in and first thing she says is .. " so, when are we diving the Yukon?" :heart: yep, she's still Kimber :jump:

Kimber was such an amazing person. She persevered through so much always striving to not let her accident keep her down.

#thinkpink

IMG_20190403_194158.jpg

I just learned of Kimber's passing. My sincere condolences to Don, Kimber's children and family.

I had the great joy of meeting Kimber when a group of SBers and Ii dove Catalina Island in 2009. She was so gracious, kind, and funny. You could see how devoted Don was to Kimber. They were so sweet together.

Big e-hug to you, Don.

I will always think of you both every time I throw peanut shells on the floor. My time on Catalina Island was that much more special because of the time spent with you both.

Oh my, My sincere condolences to you D_B and Kimber's family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom