Teens on period and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for any opinions or ideas for this issue. My daughter does not wear tampons, she is only 12, will be 13 here soon. But what do others do when on your period and do not use tampons? I use tampons and have no problems, but you cannot force someone to use them. I would hate for her to miss out just because of her period.

I would think a pad would leak, fall apart and ride up to your neck seal by the time you were done.

Last edited:
i don't think there is a solution other than a tampon or internal cup when diving wet. I think her choices would be to either dive dry during her period and use a pad, or not diving. Personally I would prolly try it with one of those always infinity pads in my OWN wetsuit after the heavy days are over if I was on a spendy trip.

I really think that the diva cup is best (way better than tampons) for diving and for everything else. A second choice for those who prefer disposable options is the Instead cup.

However, if your daughter does not want to insert a tampon, she may not like those options, either.

You could try using a 2 or 3 pantyliners stuck together instead of a regular pad, and then a pair of dark colored spandex or lycra (or similar) shorts under the wetsuit, instead of or on top of her swimsuit. You might get a little leakage, but the dark shorts should mask that if it happens. Just a thought.

i use a mooncup and would never go back to tampons . very environmentally friendly and i have had no problems diving with it in . i find it far more comfy than tampons . and in these financially tight times - it saves the pennies .

After reading this thread this morning I had to find out more about the Diva Cup and Moon Cup. Turns out the Moon Cup can not be shipped to the USA, but a bunch of stores locally carry the Diva Cup product. Talk about impulsive buying, I ran out the door and just got mine. I have a feeling it will a save a vacation or two.

To the OP, perhaps you should speak with daughter about using a tampon at least on dive days. I was about 13-14 when I started using them and stuck with a smaller regular size tampon. I know it's scary at first, but she may find that it's easier and cleaner for her to use. If she doesn't like it, she can always wear a pad on the day's she's not diving. But a pad + bathing suit + in public can be pretty embarrasing. Just my opinion though.

Take a look at the Playtex gentle glide series. They have a new type that are regular slim and light slim. I hate normal size ones from the old days but these are comfortable and can absorb as much. Take a look at the slim lights it's very short and very small. It could be a good starter one for sure. Both come in a box together so she/you could try both.

This is a belated reply and an expensive alternative, but there are drysuits designed for warm water diving and I have dived with people who feel the need to wear a drysuit in Egypt for example.

Pads with a drysuit would be no trouble at all.

I use tampons but hate diving when I'm menstruating as I feel bloated and uncomfortable. It is also more difficult to notice subtle changes to my body when diving, when my body is already feeling ropey.

Nic

If she's open to giving tampons a try, try Tampax Pearl Junior (or Lite). They are small and skinny. If she is going to be spending a lot of time in the water, swimming , scuba, or otherwise, internal protection is important. I have used the Divacup and I think for a young girl, the Tampax Pearl Juniors will be the least "scary" to insert and remove. You don't have to put your fingers inside yourself.

Back
Top Bottom