Marine Life Teen diver bitten by shark, loses leg in Belize

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by any form of marine life including large and small animals, algae or plant life, and biotoxins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that is unusual. The gofundme says she jumped back in the water for a swim after the shark dive, so I wonder if the boat was feeding the sharks.

I did not read that?

“On a family vacation to Belize, Annabelle was scuba diving with a tour group and her family. After she was finished scuba diving and was on the boat, she jumped back into the water for a swim.”

I dove with this op (I'm guessing the op based on the shop t-shirts that some folks were wearing in a video posted online) in March this year for ~20 dives including blue hole. Notwithstanding any new dives, they did not have/advertise a shark feeding dive while I was there.

There were multiple sharks on all of our dives on the sites near San Pedro. They were totally unfazed by the divers and I could swear that I felt a couple of them circling me.

One of the DMs that we did most of our dives with seemed genuinely concerned about the sharks, to the point where he adamantly discouraged me from jumping in with my lionfish spear at some sites.

I really hope that the girl recovers.

I dove with this op (I'm guessing the op based on the shop t-shirts that some folks were wearing in a video posted online)
The news article linked in post #1 says she was diving with "the Belize Dive Pro company near Halfmoon Caye in the Gulf of Honduras." The Belize Dive Pro listed online is on Ambergris Caye 55 miles from Half Moon Caye so it's difficult to say.

The news article linked in post #1 says she was diving with "the Belize Dive Pro company near Halfmoon Caye in the Gulf of Honduras." The Belize Dive Pro listed online is on Ambergris Caye 170 miles from Half Moon Caye so it's difficult to say.
Half Moon Caye on Lighthouse Atoll is about 55-60 mi. from San Pedro and Ambergris Caye. It's done as a day trip from Ambergris Caye regularly. The helicopter to Belize City is about 50 mi. - Half Moon Caye is very remote.

Half Moon Caye on Lighthouse Atoll is about 55-60 mi. from San Pedro and Ambergris Caye.
Correct. I don't know where I got 170. Edited.

1723263593356.png

The Belize Dive Pro listed online is on Ambergris Caye 55 miles from Half Moon Caye so it's difficult to say.

Yes, this was the Belize Pro Dive Center in San Pedro/Ambergris Caye... I dove with some of the crew in the incident photos and you could actually see the shop logo on a couple of the shirts... they were 5* imo and I won't hesitate to dive with them again.

Half Moon Caye on Lighthouse Atoll is about 55-60 mi. from San Pedro and Ambergris Caye. It's done as a day trip from Ambergris Caye regularly.

That's right. Halfmoon Caye Wall was the 2nd dive of this op's 3-tank all-day charter out to the Blue Hole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom