Teen Daughter Draging Her Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the problem is Catherine96821 is that dad will have to pay for the course - again.

he has already paid for it previously - paid twice already actually

im with dad, i wouldnt pay again unless she forked over the money or at least half. at some point you have to draw the line and if she wants to do it enough she will forfiet her pocket money to make it happen

Oh sorry--I missed that I guess. Hmm, I wonder why they are making them pay again, that sounds odd to me. I just think at that age, they pretty much need to be made to do a lot of things they might otherwise blow off. But I would not pay three times. I would have made her on number one. Pay again? thats nuts. Maybe he should question that a little. maybe she is a pain and there is more to the story, BUT ALL 14 yr-old girls are a pain, daddy can take refuge in that.

As the father of 5 teenagers, I have 2 out of 5 that dive. I have found no universal answer that will get all of them to do the same thing. However, their interests are constantly changing. My daughter won't even try just because her twin brother dives. So if there is any answer out there, I hope you find it. If not, enjoy who they are....they grow up fast!

almightywife and catherin, thanks very much both of you, and yes there is a little more to the story, jennifer didnt like the first instructor, not as a person as she liked him as a person but she wasnt comfertable with him as instructor, i thought he was great, was mine from ow-aow, but she got scared the first time, ok i can understand,but then she waited 9 months and then wanted to try again, so, this being the way my OLD lds is, i had to pay to rent the pool,$50, for the instructor$50 and then rerent all of the gear for her $80, and then after she finished her refresher in the pool, she had to go to monterey for the weekend to finish cert dives, gas $60, motel $110 food, well you get the idea ,lol,and then she made excuse that her braces hurt and quit again, so all in all i paid the first full cost of an open water cert, and then all of the refresher stuff, not to mention the brand new dry suit hood she left on the rocks, you know were that went,$89, lol but now i have been with my new lds,awsome lds at that, and it has been a month over the year she had to finish, so they do require that she do the hole class over, yes they will give me a break, probley half price, and the owner also told me to wait till the end of feb as i will be an instructor myself and could do it for free, but does SHE deserve it!!! i want her to dive with me as she and i are real close buddies, but i also understand that i have to draw the line somewere and be a dad!!!! bummer, and now she is 16 yr scary!!!!

Don't force her to do it if she isn't interested but explain that if she doesn't do it soon she will have to start all over...and should because the knowledge will be lost.

My 2 cents is that when she decided to do this in the first place, you should have found a friend of hers that wanted to do it also. At that age, it is hard to keep focus unless you have peers (who are your world at that time of life) who are with you. <<<<<<NOTE TO PARENTS CONSIDERING THIS>>>>>>

Different people take it up for different reasons - new hobby, new world, exploration of caves, marine life and critters. I am 16 and would definately agree with tjmills in having a friend as an extra to dive with, see if the things that interested you into the sport will interest her - but dont be too pushy, just add it into the convo as to why you started.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom