Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been practicing 3 meter spring board and cliff diving for 40 years. Every time I practice I damage my body so that the technique that works today will not work as well with the body I will have tomorrow. The only solution is to practice every other day and then the days I do not practice I can "believe" I know how to do the dives as well as I did them yesterday. :)

Thanks for the input. (FYI..I know James and talk to him regularly on various subjects.) I guess my question was in search of an answer to why scuba technique is so "guarded"? Go to a book store and buy one of a thousand books on how to hit a golf ball straight. Try following the book. Then go train with a pro at the local range to "fine tune" what you tried to learn from a book. Then go practice... practice... practice.

However, in scuba one needs to start with an instructor, try to learn as much as possible in a relatively short period of time, then attempt to perfect the skills afterward.

Please excuse my sharpness, but in the instructional classes I have taught we have found the spiral method of teaching to be most effective. First you get a taste of what you need to master, then you practice for a while, then you go to "overload" training with an instructor where you are corrected and critiqued, and finally you go practice... practice... practice. Just seems like scuba could benefit from the same.

I don't think that it's guarded. UTD has instructional videos that can be purchased as well as an online classrooms, without going to the instructor first.

For example:
Essentials DVD
Essentials Online Class

That said, many of us have found that instructors do make a difference in teaching any physical skill (not specific to scuba). And learning incorrectly is often more frustrating than not learning at all (Law of Primacy). If you read enough "what should I practice before Fundies or Essentials" threads, you'll see multiple discussions of breaking bad habits.

Specifically to scuba, since we have limited space and time to practice, it often makes sense to practice correctly from the beginning. In addition, having an instructor demonstrate, teach, and then critique technique quickly ramps the learning. Instead of spending 5-10 dives trying to understand the backwards kick, a good instructor will be able to shorten the time significantly.

However, if you feel like you have good motor skills, willing to spend the time, and then get fine tuned by an instructor, that can definitely be very effective. It's just a longer road, more trial and error, and you have to be willing to relearn.

I don't think that it's guarded. UTD has instructional videos that can be purchased as well as an online classrooms, without going to the instructor first.

For example:
Essentials DVD
Essentials Online Class

That said, many of us have found that instructors do make a difference in teaching any physical skill (not specific to scuba). And learning incorrectly is often more frustrating than not learning at all (Law of Primacy). If you read enough "what should I practice before Fundies or Essentials" threads, you'll see multiple discussions of breaking bad habits.

Specifically to scuba, since we have limited space and time to practice, it often makes sense to practice correctly from the beginning. In addition, having an instructor demonstrate, teach, and then critique technique quickly ramps the learning. Instead of spending 5-10 dives trying to understand the backwards kick, a good instructor will be able to shorten the time significantly.

However, if you feel like you have good motor skills, willing to spend the time, and then get fine tuned by an instructor, that can definitely be very effective. It's just a longer road, more trial and error, and you have to be willing to relearn.

Very informative post. Just placed an order for a DVD. :thumb:

Last edited:
Don, thank you for that post. I can't believe I didn't already mention UTD's online classes. It isn't just basic stuff there, either -- you can buy online classes for technical instruction, overhead, and decompression, and there are DVDs to go with many of them. It's not as good as having an instructor to bounce the ideas off of and of whom to ask questions, but it's an awfully good way to get good information and to prepare for classes.

Happy New Year!!! Thanks for the information. Lots of good stuff on Youtube that help to visualize what is needed. Should be helpful as pre-reading/viewing to any training. Again, thanks!

I have yet to find a good discussion or reference for technique. For example, is there a good book or video on finning techniques? (Helicopter, backing-up, etc.) What about other secrets that seem to be passed along by veteran divers if you are lucky enough to dive with them and they are in a sharing mood? Thanks in advance!

Learning diving technique by reading is like learning how to play the piano by listening to your CD's.....

There is ONLY one way to learn this stuff..... by diving. Voracious and intelligent diving.

R..

One other tip - get a buddy to video you so that you can see what you're doing right/wrong so you can hone your technique.

Re: the UTD DVDs. I suggest you get the Intro to Tech rather than the Essentials DVD. I didn't find the Essentials DVD very good. I haven't got the intro to tech but I've heard on this board that it's better.

However, your original question is a very good one. Very little attention to technique is given in *normal* dive training, from my limited experience. This is a strange quirk to scuba diving and a mistake IMO.

J

Learning diving technique by reading is like learning how to play the piano by listening to your CD's.....

There is ONLY one way to learn this stuff..... by diving. Voracious and intelligent diving.

R..

I see a lot of divers with plenty of experience but with limited technique. Cos they've never even considered the concept. They are still often very good divers but I think it's a shame that they don't focus on technique more as it is a road that leads to more pleasant, fun and controlled diving, e.g. back finning.

I think the keys words in your post are 'intelligent diving'.

Cheers,
J

R..

I could not disagree more. Although personalized instruction is always best, pictures, videos and the written word can also communicate quite effectively. I have vastly improved my snow skiing over the years by reading about technique including rather detailed nuance along with viewing videos over & over in order to visualize the lessons presented. Heck, I am a much better scuba diver after becoming active on the boards the past two years. If you are not exposed to the question, you darn sure will not know the answer.

I could not disagree more. Although personalized instruction is always best, pictures, videos and the written word can also communicate quite effectively. I have vastly improved my snow skiing over the years by reading about technique including rather detailed nuance along with viewing videos over & over in order to visualize the lessons presented. Heck, I am a much better scuba diver after becoming active on the boards the past two years. If you are not exposed to the question, you darn sure will not know the answer.

I'd have to agree. Whilst I wish I had the luxury of a wonderful mentor etc. pretty much all I've had is SB and watching other divers good in the water. Both have been invaluable. Diver0001's (amongst others) tips on various drills and skills have made me relatively proficient now (that I have the confidence to use them in OW) so I'd have to say it's a combination of personal experience/hours underwater AND the wisdom, information and tips you can pick up WHEREVER they are available - and this board I think is a brilliant resource for that.

J

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom