Technical trips in New Zealand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ, I'm going to do some skiing at Mt Hutt (south island) next week and was wondering whether or not to do a dive. Is it too cold to dive around this time of year without a drysuit?

As a rough guess, I'd say water temperatures down south would be 10-12 degC at the moment.

Too cold for me (I'm soft) without a drysuit, but I know plenty of people who dive wet all year around down south.

It would kinda depend on where you think you would go and what you'd get from it - I'd think about a dive or two on the Lermontov in a wetsuit, just 'cause it's so good. But a lot of the general coastal diving wouldn't appeal - I'd rather have an extra day on the slopes.

There's about a metre of snow at Mt Hutt at the moment - if the weather comes good, that should be more than enough to have a great time. Have you been before? A lot of the slopes down south are just over tussock, so are perfectly skiable on 30-40cm snow - unlike our volcano up here, which is a nightmare unless there's nearly 2m of snow. Snow currently looking good, but weather a bit so-so.

As a rough guess, I'd say water temperatures down south would be 10-12 degC at the moment.

Too cold for me (I'm soft) without a drysuit, but I know plenty of people who dive wet all year around down south.

It would kinda depend on where you think you would go and what you'd get from it - I'd think about a dive or two on the Lermontov in a wetsuit, just 'cause it's so good. But a lot of the general coastal diving wouldn't appeal - I'd rather have an extra day on the slopes.

There's about a metre of snow at Mt Hutt at the moment - if the weather comes good, that should be more than enough to have a great time. Have you been before? A lot of the slopes down south are just over tussock, so are perfectly skiable on 30-40cm snow - unlike our volcano up here, which is a nightmare unless there's nearly 2m of snow. Snow currently looking good, but weather a bit so-so.

Dear oh dear an Aucklander with the lowdown on South island wx conditions? whatever next?:D

Yeah you're looking at about 10-11 degrees in the upper south and 9-10 in the lower. about 7-8 in the lakes (but there's not a lot to see in them anyway).

You've certainly timed your trip well with the snow as there is significantly more forecast for tomorrow..

Whereabouts in the South were you wanting to dive? If indeed that's your intent..

Dear oh dear an Aucklander with the lowdown on South island wx conditions? whatever next?:D

I'll take that in jest, Rob..... after all you have to be joking as you're moving to Wellington and as a result the mainlander in you will be surpressed by the sheer level of artistic pomp and snobbishness of our capital city!!! :wink: :wink:

Can't beleive their was snow yesterday in the Kaimai Ranges. It's crazy times.

I'll take that in jest, Rob..... after all you have to be joking as you're moving to Wellington and as a result the mainlander in you will be surpressed by the sheer level of artistic pomp and snobbishness of our capital city!!! :wink: :wink:

Can't beleive their was snow yesterday in the Kaimai Ranges. It's crazy times.

Ah artistic pomp and snobbishness might be a nice change! I've reconciled the fact that Wellington is in the North island with the knowledge that it's further south than Nelson and the Southernmost Capital city in the world. So that really makles it an honorary South Island town (Not to mention best city for easy access to quality diving!)..:)

Yeah good amounts of snow on the main ranges (finally).. 140cm at Aoraki...:14:

Ah artistic pomp and snobbishness might be a nice change! I've reconciled the fact that Wellington is in the North island with the knowledge that it's further south than Nelson and the Southernmost Capital city in the world. So that really makles it an honorary South Island town (Not to mention best city for easy access to quality diving!)..:) :

And heavily populated with, if not colonised by, mainlanders..

Alison

I have a strong interest in diving the Lermontov -- who would you recommend and what time of the year is best. Also, how long would you recommend a person spend on this wreck to really see it? Thanks.

I have dived the Lermontov quite alot with Brent Mcfadden from Dive Marlborough New Zealand Wreck Diving in the Marlborough Sounds, Diver Training, Liveaboard Scuba Diving Boat

He runs a very well organised charter and has months of bottom time on the wreck (he's been diving it regularly since it went down 21 years ago..).

He runs liveaboards of 3-5 days. I'm doing a 5 day liveaboard in November which incidentally is one of the better times of the year visibility wise (October, November are the primo months for vis). December tends to see plankton blooms coming in which can knock the vis badly.

I reckon that if you're not living in the area and as such have the opportunity to dive it often then you would be doing yourself an injustice if you really enjoy wrecks not to spend at least 3 days on it as there is so much to see.

:D

Thanks. Any other good wreck diving in the vicinity of the Lermontov?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom