Technical trips in New Zealand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey there,

My name is Rob and I'm new to 'online diving'! I'm heading out to New Zealand in September. Are there any charters that specialize in techincal diving in New Zealand and also where are the best location for deeper diving - are there any decent deep wrecks? I don't mind travelling around, I just want to pack in as many dives as possible while I'm there.

Thank you.
Rob.

Rob - it looks like you've already found the SDNZ forum (www.scubadive.net.nz • Index page) which will be a mine of information!

There's so much good diving in NZ that you'll be running around like a dog chasing it's own tail if you're not careful! The "must dives" in my book are White Island (a live volcanco) and if you can convince the skipper to take you there, a dive at Volkner Rocks on the same day. Volkner Rocks is without a doubt one of the best dive sites in the world. Everyone goes on about how Jacques Cousteau put the Poor Knights in his top ten - but that's just because he didn't dive at Volkner.

Poor Knights are awesome, mind you. For techie days my charter of choice would be Yukon (Poor Knights Islands Diving, Dive with Yukon). Noel is an awesome skipper, and a lot of the experienced techies here won't dive with anyone else by choice.

I'd also put Matai Bay Pinnacle as a top tech dive, the base of the pinnacle is about 45-50m and there's a beautiful black coral tree at the base. The pinnacle comes to just above the surface at low tide, so there's plenty of stuff to look at as you do your deco. A-Z diving in Whatuwhiwhi (Learn to Dive with A to Z Diving - PADI school at Whatuwhiwhi, Karikari Peninsula, Doubtless Bay, Far North, Northland, New Zealand, nz) are the best option, and Andre is a great guy. You might just have to take some pronounciation lessons to work out who to say the name of the town, though!!

The other must dive is the Mikhail Lermontov - a Russian cruise liner that sank in 1986. She's in about 38m of water, and has got to be one of the largest accessible/diveable wrecks in the world. Well worth the trip.

Gidday Rob.
As Andy says there is heaps of good diving to be had in NZ.
Water temp in September is about as cold as it gets. Perhaps 15deg C at the top of the North Island maybe 10-11deg C in the middle and single figures down south.
Check out Northland Dive for some 50ish meter dives and the purposely sunk Canterbury wreck.
Coromandle area offers some great diving too.
As Andy points out Matai Bay and the Lermintov are also must dive destinations.
Not that I have done the Lermi yet but we have a trip planned for November.

Are you a CC or OC diver?

Make sure you check out sods :: Index New Zealands most active dive forum.

I am OC and most of my dives are in the 80 - 100m+ range. I'm sure I'll have a neat time in New Zealand - I feel like I have some new friends already. As I wrote on the other forum (I really should stick to one as this could get confusing - I've already forgotten my p/w twice!), I have emailed Northland Dive and I'm very interested in diving the Canterbury wreck during my stay. White Island looks rad too. Somehow I don't think a month is going to be long enough...

Helium is uber expencive here so those depths are limited to CC, dedicated deep divers and crazy deep air divers. I and most of my "tech" buddies limit ourselves to 55meters on air and if you are keen on joining up for some "shallow" dives while you are here drop me a line thru here or SODs. I'm not allow to post on that other site :no . I have my own boat and Im sure I could be convinced on a day out diving.
Castle rock is a current fav of mine. -36.868385° 175.889834°

I have heard mixed reports about White Island but Im sure you will be very pleased with Northland Dive.

The South Island offers some fantastic diving too but it does get cold down there!

Last edited:
AndyNZ, I'm going to do some skiing at Mt Hutt (south island) next week and was wondering whether or not to do a dive. Is it too cold to dive around this time of year without a drysuit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom