Technical Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JiveMaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Okay, so I need some new fins, good all around but especially good for pushing heavy loads since I'll be using them to move a twinset and quads.

So far I'm looking at the OMS Slips, SP Jets, and the Mares Avanti Quattros but I'm open to other suggestions.

Looking for the best multi functional fin since I'm constantly traveling (weight is already an issue), and I teach...

Thanks!

I dive the OMS slipstreams and I love them. I also have Quattros and I think the paddles are a far superior tech fin. They are also much lighter than the SP Jets and Turtles.

What is a tech fin? Is there such a thing?

I dive the jets and love them. They are stiff enough but not too stiff and provide great feedback and snap in the water. They do very well against strong currents and are perfect for frog kicking. They also look indestructible. If you have floaty feet diving dry they are a must. Combined with spring straps, I don't need any ankle weights, gaiters, etc. And I am new to DS diving (and did not take a course either!).

Make sure you get spring straps.

What is a tech fin? Is there such a thing?

It's more a matter of what is NOT a tech fin, for example split fins...or any fin that has poor performance frog kicking. A fin used for technical diving also much provide plenty of thrust to move an additional 100kg or so through the water.

I'm just looking for a fin that fits the bill for tech diving and when I teach...

i have the oms slipstreams and they're great
if you tend towards a more head-down trim though you should be aware that they are light, so they won't put weight on your feet like the scubapro jets do
the oms sliptreams provide plenty of power when you need it

I pack a video with lights, doubles and a 30cuft sling bottle in current most of the time , and wouldn't use anything but Force Fin Pros. They pack into a suitcase nicely and are pretty much indestructible, and weigh less then any fin I have come across.
Those who like them, like them alot... D*** that sounds like a beer commercial.

Jets, Rockets, Turtles, Slips... I'm not sure how anyone could call any of them better than the other??? The patent on the mold ran out a long time ago. Kind of like comparing apples to apples.

Scubapro Jets, two pairs, love em. IMO, Quattros aren't stiff enough for heavy tech.

Pardon me...what the hell is that?...hahaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom