Technical Diving Webinar with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to do deco for Heliox as well. In fact, I believe you absorb it faster than Nitrogen.

In playing with iDeco, a dive to 180ft for 60 minutes on air has almost 290 minutes of deco.

The same dive on Heliox requires 600 minutes of deco.

Hey Sam, from what I hear you could have had a "wife" if you wanted.:shocked2::rofl3: soo sorry but if i didnt I'm sure Ohm would have.

Rich- Well, she was very friendly towards me by the end of the evening so I decided best to bail.

Boomer - I don't mean to highjack your thread, was only replying to Rich's post.

You need to do deco for Heliox as well. In fact, I believe you absorb it faster than Nitrogen.

In playing with iDeco, a dive to 180ft for 60 minutes on air has almost 290 minutes of deco.

I am learning more every second tonight. So eliminating the Nitrogen is mostly about eliminating the nitrogen narcosis, not the deco sickness element, right?

Thats weird. Double the time seems like an awful lot thats 10 hrs dec

With BoomerNJ's approval, I've had this thread moved to the Advanced Scuba Discussion forum.

There's a permanent redirect from DNY, so it's kind of in both forums... but this way it opens up these informative posts from JC to the rest of the board. :D

Thats weird. Double the time seems like an awful lot thats 10 hrs dec

did you run the dive on OC or on CCR?

John,

If the ultimate goal is to move to a rebreather, do you still think that the ER class is useful? Or maybe I should say, is it necessary?

Honestly, I'm not sure I have any desire to dive to 300 ft. In fact, I'm not sure I can really think of anything I'd want to dive @ 200 ft. Maybe the Monitor.

Just to add a little clarification here, I am not an advocate of 300 foot dives on Open Circuit Trimix, unless they are something along the lines of touchdown divers.

In 1994, we dove on Lusitania at about 300' using OC. To tell the truth I felt we were near the limit of OC for working wreck dives involving exploration and photography, primarliy because we were so ill equipped to manage emergencies like entangllement, getting lost, equipment malfuncitons, etc. We had to rely on our experience to try to avoid the pitfalls.

At the time, rebreathers for the masses were not available and we had no other choice, but we knew we were near the edge. If you scare yourself in 300' on Trimix, you will undoubtredly have a gas management issue as your bottom mix disappears. Now you have two problems? Today, I think the rebreather makes a better means for diving to 300' or even greater depths because the units themselves have evolved so well.

Rebreather technology enables the diver to use a constant PPO2 and decompresses in a nice, easy curved profile, as opposed to the jagged saw tooth profile from OC Trimix with multiple gas switches. This is especially true if the diver follows a ceiling, instead of stop depths.

THis would seem to be far more friendly, biologically speaking. Rebreathers also enable the diver to use heliox, as opposed to Trimix, which is far too expensive on OC. I am a big, big fan of Helium, and credit it for keeping me in deep water. Virtually everyone I know who has gotten bent on a deep dive, has been bent on Nitrogen, or at least the N2 element of Trimix?

Then again, with rebreathers comes increased responsibility, which we had anyway with deeper depths?

This is just what has worked for me.

Cheers

JC

Back
Top Bottom