Technical Diving Webinar with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Rich, we should plan on trying to get into a combo ER/Advanced Nitrox/DECO course for 2010... That's my plan, I don't think I'll be ready for it next year... I have rescue to do & want to get a LOT more dives in next year as well... I'm hoping to hit the 200 dive mark sometime next year, so I have a lot of diving to do to make up for the loss of 4 months out of this year...

John,

What is the difference between a ceiling & Stop depths? And just to clarify, Heliox eliminates Nitrogen from the mix, correct? As oppesed to Trimix which is Nitrogen, O2 & HE, right?

Thanks!

Thats about the time frame I am looking at too. I've got to get my ass back in to shape. 15 years with out diving really sets you back

I hear that, I started a desk job about 5 years ago & it went down hill from there... Diving though has brought me back a little & given me a reason to get back into fighting shape...

Now, yet more.

I have to come clean here. I have a huge scheduling issue and will not be teaching the Advanced Nitrox, Deco Procedures, Extended Range class at Pirates Cove in February. Uwe Rath, who is one of the best instructors I have ever worked with, will still make the class work for the divers who want the dates, but I not be there, I will be in Hawaii.

I absolutely hate cancelations, but I have a TV project to do with a bunch of high tech hardware and my partners can't do it any other time due to ship scheduling. It is about the big money they have and I do not. They have done a last minute reschedule and I am trapped.

I will be teaching the same classes in May at PC, if anyone is interested.

My apologies to Rhone Man.

Cheers

JC

PS - Thanks for all the nice feedback on the webinar.

A decompression ceilng is the depth that a diver cannot ascend above, without violating the computed decompression (2:1 gradient stuff). As time goes on, that ceiling slowly gets shallower, basically a foot at a time. A decompressing diver can ride that ceiling (probably not to close) all the way to 10', essentially doing a slow continuous ascent.

Conventional Deco Stops, have th decompressing diver stop at 60' for 2 minutes, then he goes to 50' for 4 minutes, then 40'..... and so on. It is a step decompression, as opposed to what amounts to a the slow continuous ascent with using the ceiling.

The VR Family of computers, as well as the Vision Electronics use ceilings, and I imagine some others as well.

I think this is easier on the decompressing dve biologically as well as eliminating crowds of divers at every 10' increment?

Heliox is simply He and O2, while Timix is varying amounts of He, O2, and N2, as you state.

Cheers

JC

John,

What is the difference between a ceiling & Stop depths? And just to clarify, Heliox eliminates Nitrogen from the mix, correct? As oppesed to Trimix which is Nitrogen, O2 & HE, right?

Thanks!

Thanks John! Hope to run into you someday or hopefully take that combo class in a year or two!

It would make sense to eliminate nitrogen completely from the mix, seeing as it is the major cause of deco complications. Of course, having your own chamber is a plus too... Someday... someday... lol... :D

The course I am doing runs from 8 - 14 February (if you are going to be away from home on 14 February, make sure you have an understanding wife), but they also run the same combo course from 17 - 23 May (and probably again later in the year).

I attach a link to their traning calendar below.

Pirates Cove Dive Center - Samana, Dominican Republic

Funnily enough, when I booked the course I had no idea who JC was; it was just the nearest place I could fly to learn about Tec diving. Then everyone at my LDS told me who he was. He is very relaxed and user friendly to noobs like me; when I was getting a bit nervous about making the jump he said: "Colin, it is Tec diving, not joining the Navy Seals!" Hopefully that's right. :reaper: :blessing:

I don't have a wife so no need to worry if wife is understanding.

What happened to "Baby Steps"? :D

Mats - I am taking "Baby Steps", I believe gas management is important before I consider Intro to Caverns and Caves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom