Technical Diving Webinar with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, that was interesting. Learning about upcoming technology is always fun no matter what the subject is. Also, diving is still in its infant stages if you ask me. Yes, people have been diving for decades but it's still relatively untapped and has a lot of potential for some major innovations. Rebreathers are starting to become more popular and accessible and computers can only maximize diving for everyone. The next decade will be interesting. I'm happy I'm young enough to enjoy what there is to come.

Interesting chat with John Chatterton last night! Unfortunately I couldn't hang on for the whole thing, I hope I didn't miss too much...

Last edited:
It was really good, although poor John looked quite tired (must keep up a heck of a schedule...).

I am actually doing the combined Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedure/Extended Range with him in DR in February 2009. Is anyone else going down to DR for that course?

I wish... :depressed: I am going to put that on the schedule for 2010, I need to save up for that, gain some more experience & buy a bunch more gear... :D I would rather take it at his Florida location, but if I have to travel to DR, I guess I'll make do... lol... :D

There are technical dive instructors in this area as well you know.

Very true, and I have been in contact with Dan Crowell, who is associated with my LDS (He was (or maybe still is) a captain on the dive boat Seeker, the dive charter that found the U-869 off Brielle with Richie Kohler & John Chatterton). I just figured why not do that advanced stuff someplace warm. That's one less factor to worry about when concentrating on so much other stuff. At least I won't be cold too...

True, but on the other hand, if you can do it here, you can pretty much do it anywhere.

I would add that I'm not sure the TDI extended range is worth it. I'm of the opinion that breathing air down @ 185 fsw is probably a recipe for disaster, as you would be super narced. Better to jump to Trimix.

It was really good, although poor John looked quite tired (must keep up a heck of a schedule...).

I am actually doing the combined Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedure/Extended Range with him in DR in February 2009. Is anyone else going down to DR for that course?
ujjjjgggghhhhhhh jealous....you are so lucky to be taught by him...Rhoneman, dont know your real name> i am wendy. hi

Yes, I would really be interested in a trip down south for some certification. You get a vacation and furthur your diving at the same time. That is a ways away from me right now but eventually I'll look into it. Local education would not hurt either. Just a quick question. What does fsw mean when you say 185 fsw? I've gathered that it's probably referring to your distance under water in feet but what does the acronym stand for?

fsw = feet salt water
ffw = feet fresh water

Fresh and salt water have different densities, so from a "pressure" point of view, there is a slight difference. Doesn't make much difference for normal recreational diving, but can be significant for longer/deeper dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom