Technical Diving Instructor Recommendations - SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi TW,

I agree with PfcAJ, it's far too early to think about tech/cave/other stuff. These things require training, money and time. So dive, dive, dive - if you like it :)

However, the idea of taking fundies right now is a good one. If I were you, I wouldn't do it with tech diving in mind; on the contrary, I would just do the course thinking about improving my diving skills, so as to be more in control and have more fun. Nonetheless, I'll give you some info so that you are just a bit more informed when you will decide.

There are alternative courses similar to fundies that you may want to evaluate (with TDI and IANTD), but you need to consider at least these three factors (in favour of fundies) in your choice:
1 - You need to find the right instructor, which can be tough; with GUE, usually the technical skills of the instructor are guaranteed, so you just need to be sure that the instructor's style fits your personality.
2 - GUE is strongly team-oriented; this can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on the situation but, in my opinion, it is a nice thing to try, especially if you are at the beginning.
3 - If you like GUE, and you want to continue with that route, you'll need fundies, so better started there - you are always on time to switch.

I am biased since I am GUE-trained and I loved it :) so I'd recommend you to speak with people with a different point of view, to extend your horizons. At the same time, don't get obsessed with it - once you find a high-quality instructor that fits your personality, go for it and have fun.

Thanks, for this - helpful. I do agree that jumping into tech right now (although it is conceivable to complete) would be suboptimal. I posted this, and I think people have read into this perceived notion that I'm intending to dive head first into tec diving tomorrow - this is incorrect. I created this post primarily for the following: to gain a better understanding of the various options made available to me in my local area - after this survey and a few private conversations, I've elected to try GUE based on my first impression of the instructors I met and their personality.

After I elected this route, I thought it would be prudent to take fundies this year for the following reasons:
1) To ensure I receive an entry level course that grants me the option to take tech sometime in the future
1a.) As a sidenote, I intend to take fundies with the double tank to improve that optionality. I don't see a point in taking it single if I have even an inkling of wanting to explore the tech side of diving
2) To gain a better grasp of the GUE curriculum and my instructors training style to determine if this is right for me - my gut instinct after meeting with them in person is that it will be, but I'd like to "trust but verify"
3) To develop the beginning of a relationship with my instructor - my research on tec diving indicates this is a HUGE MULTI-YEAR investment. I want a mentor/mentee relationship if I elect to explore this part of diving, not an instructor/instructed relationship

Again, I have no intent of hopping on a boat tomorrow, getting fundies, diving 25 more times, hopping on another boat to get Tec 1. I'm not "hard for cards"; but, I do like to create and shoot for an achievable, if slightly optimistic, schedule. If I fail to maintain that timeline, I've received an incredible education, and I can take my tec courses the next year. I doubt the wrecks and caves I want to explore will be going anywhere in my life time, ha.

@tototime, You've got the right mindset!

1a.) As a sidenote, I intend to take fundies with the double tank to improve that optionality. I don't see a point in taking it single if I have even an inkling of wanting to explore the tech side of diving

Well, depending on your skills level and your comfort with double tanks, it may make sense to take fundies in singles. I believe it is possible to do just one dive in singles and then switch to doubles, depending on the instructor's feedback, which would be ideal. Anyway, the best idea is probably to discuss this point with Karim/Francesco/whoever is gonna do the course

@tototime, You've got the right mindset!

Well, depending on your skills level and your comfort with double tanks, it may make sense to take fundies in singles. I believe it is possible to do just one dive in singles and then switch to doubles, depending on the instructor's feedback, which would be ideal. Anyway, the best idea is probably to discuss this point with Karim/Francesco/whoever is gonna do the course

Perfect, I didn't know that, and I will discuss with them. If it's an option to first get acquainted with the curriculum on single tank and then switch to double tank and achieve the same outcome, I agree with you that this would be optimal.

Perfect, I didn't know that, and I will discuss with them. If it's an option to first get acquainted with the curriculum on single tank and then switch to double tank and achieve the same outcome, I agree with you that this would be optimal.

Actually, it was just an idea and I am not sure 100% if you can do it. I would appreciate it if you could confirm it once you speak with your instructor, thanks :)

San Diego here, but signed up for Fundies with Dave Watson in OC/Catalina start of June. I'm going to see if I can get used to doubles before then and dive those, but if I don't feel comfortable then I'll just commit to single-tank for class. I don't know about switching during class, but I asked Dave about when I would have to decide which setup I'd use and he said as late as the morning of our dives.

Doing my first dive on doubles this week. I've seen a lot of "starting with doubles was easier than starting with a drysuit" so I'm hopeful; I've got 4 dives so far on my drysuit and 1-3 felt pretty rough, the 4th one felt maybe 95% of my usual wetsuit comfort level, so that's promising.

Thanks all. I've elected to go with GUE after speaking with Karim and Francesco over at Zen Dive Co in Pasadena. I stopped by today - it's quite an impressive operation, and their attitude towards diving meshed well with me.

If you live in the LA area, I highly recommend making a stop.

Do you have dates scheduled yet? And yeah, following Zen on IG and the shop looks sweeet!

Hi, new to the fourm but have been diving for about three years.

At this junction, I've fallen in love with diving. I am getting my AOW rec cert on an upcoming trip, but I'm also very interested in tec diving. It appeals to me as a way to explore wrecks that are dififuclt to access at recreational limits.

I'm also a bit of a nerd and very type-a. The planning and kitting up aspect of tec diving (along with the significant training involved to improve my diving acumen) appeal to me as well.

As the subject line says, does anyone on the board have recommendation for good tec instructors in SoCal? I'm located in Manhattan Beach. My LDS is Eco Dive Center (which is a TDI shop). Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm willing to go as far south as San Diego if the instructors are truly outstanding outside of my local area.

I'd also like to be a little flexible with my tec dives (I've reasearched that GUE tends to be a bit more...prescriptive). I'd like to eventually have the flexibility to dive sidemount and CCR and don't want to spend the next two years training just to go on my first real dive. This is just from my research and is likely an ignorant opinion, so please correct me if I have formed the wrong perception of GUE.

Thanks for your help!

-TW
I'm not a fan of Eco Dive Center personally, given it was all on how they handled their chartered boats but left a very very sour taste in my mouth and I won't be giving them any more business if I can help it. I've done some training with @DiveTucson and had a really good experience. I know he frequently does training in the LA/SD area. He does TDI certifications and not GUI, but excellent training all around.

Doing my first dive on doubles this week. I've seen a lot of "starting with doubles was easier than starting with a drysuit" so I'm hopeful; I've got 4 dives so far on my drysuit and 1-3 felt pretty rough, the 4th one felt maybe 95% of my usual wetsuit comfort level, so that's promising.

Is there a training agency to get you up to speed on doubles or are you just going it on your own?

Do you have dates scheduled yet? And yeah, following Zen on IG and the shop looks sweeet!

I'm likely going to shoot for June/July as well, but I haven't set a date yet.

@tototimeWell, depending on your skills level and your comfort with double tanks, it may make sense to take fundies in singles. I believe it is possible to do just one dive in singles and then switch to doubles, depending on the instructor's feedback, which would be ideal. Anyway, the best idea is probably to discuss this point with Karim/Francesco/whoever is gonna do the course

I don't know about switching from a single tank to doubles mid-course (seems like it wouldn't be a problem but definitely a question for the instructor) but after taking Fundies in a single tank, recreational configuration I've been slowly adding the pieces necessary for a tec pass. Whenever I've got the right equipment and feel confident about the stricter standards, it's just a checkout dive with an instructor to upgrade my rec pass and be able to take Tec and Cave courses.

I took Fundies a few months after getting my OW cert and it was hard enough without the more complicated equipment and higher standards of a tec pass. I'm happy doing it in smaller chunks and spending more time practicing, especially since I don't have to retake Fundies to get the tec pass.

Is there a training agency to get you up to speed on doubles or are you just going it on your own?

Getting a c-card through the organization of "local mentorship" :-D Official training options in San Diego are more limited than up by you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom