"Technical." Dive Computers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some I'm sure he'd never touch just based on algorithm alone. Basically proprietary (not fully understand, lacking the same level of research) bad. Buhlmann ZHL-16C good. For the ones he hasn't seen, I'm sure he's talked to technical divers who have. The guy is pretty thorough.

Sacre bleu! Sharing content to demonstrate that one's a SME as a marketing vehicle! Who would have thunk it?

After DAN and Rubicon, his website is arguably the largest collection of useful training information on the Internet. Of any instructor, likely the largest.

Lots of people who will never travel to the Philippines have benefited. I provide links to different articles to his website to my students and I doubt anyone I've taught so far will ever be his student, simply because none of them so far have expressed an interest in being a hardcore wreck diver.

Ok, so I was being polite. I don’t trust a word he says about computers, OK? Basically the dive computer thing is a complete lie. He has NOT DIVED these computers. It is all made up. FFS. It is actually less well informed than a good argument on SB, which is really saying something.

Now, perhaps his view of wild and crazy corner cases happens to be the same as yours, so sure pass on his random collection of advertising material to your students. This is absolutely not the same as stuff stood behind by an proper organisation with actual review and scrutiny.

Diving really suffers from this game of self proclaimed experts.

Ok, so I was being polite. I don’t trust a word he says about computers, OK? Basically the dive computer thing is a complete lie. He has NOT DIVED these computers. It is all made up. FFS. It is actually less well informed than a good argument on SB, which is really saying something.

Now, perhaps his view of wild and crazy corner cases happens to be the same as yours, so sure pass on his random collection of advertising material to your students. This is absolutely not the same as stuff stood behind by an proper organisation with actual review and scrutiny.

Diving really suffers from this game of self proclaimed experts.
I’ll just step away from this exchange as it doesn’t appear you have gone through his entire website.

But thanks for the laugh that “self proclaimed experts” is the biggest problem in diving. That’s rich.

I’ll just step away from this exchange as it doesn’t appear you have gone through his entire website.

But thanks for the laugh that “self proclaimed experts” is the biggest problem in diving. That’s rich.
Not this week. I gave up on respecting his opinion a while ago and since he left here I am less likely to encounter promotional links to support his views.

“Biggest”? Now you are making stuff up too.

But thanks for the laugh that “self proclaimed experts” is the biggest problem in diving
Andy has a well deserved reputation in the SM world as a very knowledgeable and experienced Advanced SM instructor (especially for wrecks). No argument. He does have his pet soap box topics for sure, and I learnt to tune out 50% of his posts for the rants they were.

He has nurtured and cultivated somewhat of a cult following, not problem with that, it's his business and primary income. Good luck to him

But with a reputation and a following, comes responsibility to be fair and subjective, and if you're going to write such an article, either dive the actual computers, or make it clear that you've just done a web search and based your opinions off basic sales literature

Some of his points can be easily discredited with the most basic of searches

Firstly Divecomputer.EU If he hadn't made himself unwelcome on a number of forums, he would have seen that its common knowledge that this computer is disappointment in a box, it has many manufacturing issues and customer support is non existent. If you're splashing out $500 you wnat it to work for a few years, and be able to get it fixed.

Then we come down to the Eon. I get he hates the algorithm - I don't make deep trimix dives like him, But I know Eon users who do and have no issues planning etc. but that's his opinion and is a valid concern

Where he shoots himself in the foot as hes so desperate to discredit a computer is with his criticisms of the display

He states correctly that teh Eon has a choice of 4 screens and then states it cannot be fully customized like the Perdix. Utter, utter BS and nonsense.

The Eon is probably THE most customizable computer for data, and the limited nature of it of it on my Perdix is one of the biggest disappointments. You're spoiled for choice on the Eon of setting each page up with secondary dive info over 3 windows. And this is only one case where Andy has been selectively in nature to suit his narrative

Because he has a following, people will take this incorrect information as the gospel truth. So I learnt some time ago to take what he writes with a pinch of salt, and certainly on dive computers to ignore him, because he's generally (as Ken says) not been within 100 miles of that computer.

It's okay to be of an opinion as to whether you prefer X or Y of a certain type of equipment - or prefer certain brands over others, most of the difference come down to subjective preferences anyway (take cars as an example) But when you're talking complete nonsense and basically telling lies to support your position, well that's when I have issues

Not this week. I gave up on respecting his opinion a while ago and since he left here I am less likely to encounter promotional links to support his views..
Have you ever? There’s a lot of great stuff for people interested in sidemount or starting out diving.

It is quite apparent that you don’t like Andy. He would have made a horrible diplomat. Probably would’ve started WWIII.
“Biggest”? Now you are making stuff up too.
No, I was baiting you as you stated that people like Andy are such a problem. Feel free to DM directly and enlighten me what statements in his article about dive computers are lies. I’d rather not participated in bickering that the mods have to clean up.

Reasons:
1) because it is a discussion forum of a membership based association that charges €50 per year for membership and €50 per year for all the air fills that you will ever want :D
2) not in english

(It's a YMCA diving club active since 1980)
Both are good reasons. Thanks.

Andy [...] He does have his pet soap box topics for sure [...] He has nurtured and cultivated somewhat of a cult following

And Tom Mount of IANTD has not? Or the GUE folks? Or anybody, actually? Pick any dive professional or instructor or even an avid forum diver like me and you will find a controversial opinion or two. By the way, Apeks configured their sidemount system completely wrong. Regulators should not both come from right and should absolutely not be clipped to D-rings :D See, we all have these opinions.

Now back to the article. I found it valuable that he presented his selection criteria first and then listed the matching dive computers. What he says may be true or false, but very seldom we can find the whole truth and nothing but the truth in any one writing... And his article has surely sparked som good discussion.

And Tom Mount of IANTD has not? Or the GUE folks? Or anybody, actually? Pick any dive professional or instructor or even an avid forum diver like me and you will find a controversial opinion or two. By the way, Apeks configured their sidemount system completely wrong. Regulators should not both come from right and should absolutely not be clipped to D-rings :D See, we all have these opinions.

Now back to the article. I found it valuable that he presented his selection criteria first and then listed the matching dive computers. What he says may be true or false, but very seldom we can find the whole truth and nothing but the truth in any one writing... And his article has surely sparked som good discussion.

I have no problem with opinion as long as they are identified as such. I do have problems with opinions that are put forward in a way that allows them to be interpreted as the gospel truth - when its down to subjective bias or where the facts are altered to support a pre held POV.

We all have our different views based on perspective. You for instance might say that a particular bit of kit has negative or positive points. Fine If you further clarify these points with context around the type of diving use etc.. I might read your statement and look at your clarifications and decided those particular points aren't valid for me since I dive in a different way and in a different environment. Conversely they may well be something I deem to be appropriate for me and take note.

YEars ago I was going to buy a Liqivison lynx - my heart was dead set on it. someone here sent me a good PM with balanced views on its plus and minus points - with context. It so happened that a couple of their negative points were important to me, set me on a path of further research and I decided not to go that route

The same with opinions I give. People might think I'm an Eon fanboy - I'm not, I could write a long list of things that I don't like or think is wrong - however on balance in my environment and the type of diving I make, its the best computer by the fact it has the least amount of things that annoy me.

I also defend it because there are so many inaccuracies thrown around generally by people who've never even dived one

Back
Top Bottom