Tech through PADI or TDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, to return to the original topic of this thread, a comparison of TDI and PADI technical diving courses, this difference would be a huge benefit for people who want to be certified as technical divers but do not want to do actual decompression dives during training.

Is there any tech instructor reading this who would actually certify someone like that?

Is there any tech instructor reading this who would actually certify someone like that?
Well, abnfrog says he is a "dinosaur" because he still requires deco, so I guess it must be pretty common. That metaphor usually means a rare individual still doing things the old way.

Makes me think of the wreck diving specialty where a diver isn’t required to go inside the wreck.

Following PADI’s progressive model, it makes sense for an instructor to have the first deco dive be simulated and then move to actual deco on at least the last dive. If the instructor feels the student can handle it, nothing wrong with doing all deco dives either. I think a certification that where a student never performed the skills in the manner to which it will be used just is of low value. Like a deep dive to 61 feet.

All of the dive shops in my area do the PADI Deep Diver specialty in a local quarry that bottoms out at 85 feet. For a certification to 130. Which is why I won't be doing Deep Diver locally.
Yeah, I don't get the value in that. Narcosis at 85 feet is not the same at 130.

I don't want to go off topic, but can we all agree that regardless of course, regardless of agency, students should (I would like to say must) perform the skills at the level to which they will apply them?

I agree if a student wants to get a c card that actually means something , they actually need to DO at some point what it is they are trying to learn , as for stay away from me as an instructor ....well I have a lot of satisfied students that are competent to dive to the level of the course they have taken , unlike taking a course from a non current instructor that quotes wrong standards , but freely expresses he views on all things diving .......you decide

Last edited:
I agree if a student wants to get a c card that actually means something , they actually need to DO at some point what it is they are try to learn , as for stay away from me as an instructor ....well I have a lot of satisfied students that are competent to dive to the level of the course they have taken , unlike taking a course from a non current instructor that quotes wrong standards , but freely expresses he views on all things diving .......you decide

I really haven't followed the minute details of the exchange between you and John, and honestly do not care who is more right or wrong. My comment was as general as I could make it as to what I feel is important in any class. In the case of the latest exchanges, the answer to the question of "should a student do actual decompression in a decompression class?", my answer is an emphatic yes.

Yeah, I don't get the value in that. Narcosis at 85 feet is not the same at 130.

I don't want to go off topic, but can we all agree that regardless of course, regardless of agency, students should (I would like to say must) perform the skills at the level to which they will apply them?

Exactly. The fundamental reason why I want to do the Deep Diver specialty is so that my first dives to the limits of my certification are in a controlled setting (as much as possible) and with an instructor. My personal approach to diving progression is to minimize the amount of things that I do for the first time on my own. When I get there, that will also apply to decompression.

It's reassuring to see that I'm not the only one to think in a certain way.

I guess, despite the speciality or course, the fact that an instructor doesn't make you do what the course says depends on many factors: time, environment, student knowledge/ability, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom