Tech through PADI or TDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first deco dive in the PADI tec range is by exceeding the NDL, followed by an ascent that requires a maximum of 10 minutes on decompression stops. Exceeding the NDL can be determined with the RDP or a rec computer. Nitrox is not used for accelerated deco, just conservatism. But I think this has been discussed before.

I wonder if you have to to be able to find every tiny little detail in a course structure. Just ask yourself: would you do only simulated deco stops during a course, sign off the student and let him/her face a real decompression dive after the course? There's not a single course outline that describes how a student will react when actually facing a very real deco obligation for the first time.
The first time I exceeded the NDL and followed my written down plan on the way up, I was nervous and excited at the same time. What will happen? How will my body react? Will I feel anything?
I think one should do this next to an instructor.

Diving GF30/40 is not a way to answer those questions, it's just a crazy long dive.

Last edited:
I wonder if you have to to be able to find every tiny little detail in a course structure. Just ask yourself: would you do only simulated deco stops during a course, sign off the student and let him/her face a real decompression dive after the course? There's not a single course outline that describes how a student will react when actually facing a very real deco obligation for the first time.
The first time I exceeded the NDL and followed my written down plan on the way up, I was nervous and excited at the same time. What will happen? How will my body react? Will I feel anything?
I think one should do this next to an instructor.
Totally agree with that, and I guess is what everyone that is willing to do Tech want to do/experience.
I've spoken with my instructor and he told we will do real deco: I trust him, but I will be also be sure that he will stick to the plan.
I WANT to do deco stops because I want to know what's going on during a deco stop, I want to be sure to be able to handle it with the right attitude and the right knowledge and training (and yes, also because I'm just curious).

What would be learned in a deco training dive including 10 minutes "real" staged deco compared to 10 minutes "simulated" staged deco?

I've never been a fan of wracking up unnecessary deco obligations unless the dive profile requires it, myself... Then again, it's a short shallow dive that stays within NDL...I like being in the water longer personally, both as a student and an instructor.

What would be learned in a deco training dive including 10 minutes "real" staged deco compared to 10 minutes "simulated" staged deco?
[disclaimer before someone starts a rampage: this is just my personal opinion]
It's all fun until the sh*t gets real.
Meaning: a staged deco is a staged deco.
I can take it seriously as I want (and I'm pretty serious in general and I like to do everything in the proper way), but it won't be real.
If it's a real deco instead, things are starting to be real, tangible. I need to focus at 150%. Be careful on everything I'm doing and get out of the water with no consequences. I'm not doing it for the thrill of the danger, I'm doing it because I want to be in the real situation, I want to learn in the proper way.
Again, this is just my personal opinion, but I applied this ethic in everything I do, and I don't see why I shouldn't do the same underwater.

stuartv boulder john is a tdi instructor , he knows how to look it up , maybe he's just embarrassed that he got caught quoting imaginary (read wrong)standards so ill just let him off . by the way your post was MOST dead on

Last edited:
cam . if you look at realistically we as instructors train people to dive in a certain discipline , why not tell them to close their eyes on a night dive or put a piece of plexie over their heads and call it an ice dive ....if your name is on the card you have a legal and moral obligation to make sure they can do that type of diving without you there as safely as possible . I (and all ) instructors take their students lives very seriously

stuartv boulder john is a tdi instructor , he knows how to look it up , maybe he's just embarrassed that he got caught quoting imaginary (read wrong)standards so ill just let him off . by the way your post was MOST dead on
I explained everything clearly in the previous posts. If you are having trouble understanding it, see if you can find someone to explain it to you.

most dead on what?

stuartv last post was right on the money is that better ................john you hurt my feelings now ,....... I mean I knew you couldn't just say I made a mistake ...after all the good scuba advice you give out ..........

I think I was pretty clear earlier. I an a FORMER TDI instructor--I dropped it several years ago. I do not have access to my old instructional materials at the moment, and I was going from memory. I have to admit I was very surprised to read through those posted standards and see that TDI does not indeed require decompression for the Decompression Procedures course.

So, to return to the original topic of this thread, a comparison of TDI and PADI technical diving courses, this difference would be a huge benefit for people who want to be certified as technical divers but do not want to do actual decompression dives during training. They just have to make sure to avoid the "dinosaur" instructors like abnfrog who will make them do decompression.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom