Tech Shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of the Apeks shorts and, while they are expensive, I love them. They may have been slightly bouyant at first but, after a few deeper dives, that's all but gone. Mares looks to make an XR Tek Pocket Ultra Light Short that is interesting and probably wouldn't be as bouyant either.

With all of that said, I have completely moved away from using tec shorts to using a butt pouch. This is largely driven by the fact that I dive sidemount but, when I have a few tanks on each side, I can't readily get to the pockets. The butt pouch just stays out of the way but is readily available when I need it. I'd think similar restrictions would show up if you were diving doubles with a few deco cylinders too.

I have the ISTs too, they're pretty great. The pockets are big enough but not quite as big as some larger tech drysuit pockets. A decent tradeoff between drag and roominess I guess. They do add some buoyancy. Not much, but enough to notice at the end of a dive if you have your weighting tuned in without them. Not sure how the neoprene will hold up over time, only had them on a few dives. They are nicely adjustable and don't shift out of place. In general I like them.

I prefer zippers to velcro pockets, so that's another nice thing about the ISTs. But that's probably a whole debate in itself if anyone want's to argue about that one.

I'm not OP, but upon further investigation, I'm not sure the IST holster setup will work in my case.... I'm trying to get my DAN dSMB off my buttplate and into pockets, but the IST pockets look too small..... In a perfect world, I would want the Apeks pockets on a non-neoprene shorts, with 1/2" velcro straps at the leg hems to tighten to the legs...

I wanted to get the Apeks, but I found it way to pricey IMHO.
Decided to go with a AliExpress ones
US $38.5 15% OFF|LayaTone Diving Shorts Men 3mm Neoprene Shorts Scuba Diving Suit Surfing Snorkeling Kayaking Canoeing Suit Shorts Wetsuits|Wetsuit| | - AliExpress

H04b373b9047c45b49affd0f6742a3b748.jpg

Will update on opinions and a small review when they arrive.

Apeks shorts on sale (and their spools!)
Apeks Tech Shorts MEDIUM - RRP £99
I bought a pair of shorts from this company and I have about 90 dives in these tech shorts. They are almost good as new. I would buy them again.
GJS

Nice! Unfortunately, their site says they are unable to ship Apeks out of EU.... That's a good price though!

I want to find something with similar pockets but with no neoprene, like the Irikonji shorts

I wanted to get the Apeks, but I found it way to pricey IMHO.
Decided to go with a AliExpress ones

Will update on opinions and a small review when they arrive.

Yes, please do! I've been looking at similar on a local marketplace here. Also been looking at the "Yonsub" version of the Apeks shorts, they look like they have a lot of potential, but still neoprene

Nice! Unfortunately, their site says they are unable to ship Apeks out of EU.... That's a good price though!

I want to find something with similar pockets but with no neoprene, like the Irikonji shorts
Too bad! I bought two regulators, spools and shorts from this fine company and they shipped to Abu Dhabi when I was living (and diving) there. Take care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom