tech fins for foot heavy people???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a long-time Turtle user. When I switched to CCR I was significantly more foot heavy -which is not all that unusual when making that switch. I changed from Turtles to Slipstreams and they made a big difference -back to decent trim. I still like the Turtles better but with the 'breather they're just too heavy, especially when trim is really important like wreck penetration or caves.

I, too, have an issue with foot-heavy, and use Quattros.

All the best, James

Agreed. I recently got a pair for wet suit diving, and I'm starting to really like them. My pair feels stiffer than SP Jets, contrary to a previous post. The weight difference is really noticeable, both for travel and underwater.

I've also seen various Mares Avanti models and Superchannels used, and they seem to work fine with all the kicks.

//LN

I'll be third on the Slipstreams. Very light fins.

these OMS slipstream look like the answer to my problem it says divers-supply has them so ill have to go check them out and see if they feel any lighter than the jets.

Oh, you'll know they're lighter. I didn't look up the numbers, but I'll guess half the weight.

The Dive Rites are OK, but I find the Sliptreams to be more compact, and easier to do the little kicks with. I have XS Scuba spring straps on mine, and they're fine with a 3mm suit.

Yes, I was looking for a BIGGER blade on a fin, so compact would have been exactly what I already had and didn't want!

Ive been diving a aluminum 80 with a 5 mm wetsuit and 10 lbs of weight on my top cam strap, but i just got a hp steel 119.

That sounds like a posture problem to me. AL80s are pretty butt-light, especially when they are near empty. Then you are throwing an extra 10 lbs on the top camband, last time I tried anything like that it was a serious chore to stay in trim (and I never did it again). HP119s can be very butt-heavy if they are 7.25" diameter tanks, my HP120 takes a lot of effort from me to stay in trim, whereas I can trim AL80s, LP95s, LP85s, and HP100s with relative ease using a 4/3 wetsuit and little to no weight (if I am carrying weight, it's normally just a few pounds on the bottom cam-band, since I prefer to dive weightless).

If I were you I would try to find a friend with a video camera to go on an easy dive with me and shoot lots of video, especially stopping and attempting to hover. I would also do a proper weight check at the end of the dive, just to ensure that I'm not overweighted. But that's my opinion.

If you need a guide to proper posture, you can look here: Deep-Sea Sherpa Horizontal Trim 101 – Levers .

Peace,
Greg

I have been using Slipstreams for about 18 months now and really like them on certain dives. They nice and short, great for frog kicking but I have abandoned them for dives that involve a long surface swim or where I expect to encounter current, they're so stiff I find them just too tiring if I have to scissor kick. I'm seriously thinking about getting a pair of quattros as I've heard they are good.

That sounds like a posture problem to me. AL80s are pretty butt-light, especially when they are near empty. Then you are throwing an extra 10 lbs on the top camband, last time I tried anything like that it was a serious chore to stay in trim (and I never did it again). HP119s can be very butt-heavy if they are 7.25" diameter tanks, my HP120 takes a lot of effort from me to stay in trim, whereas I can trim AL80s, LP95s, LP85s, and HP100s with relative ease using a 4/3 wetsuit and little to no weight (if I am carrying weight, it's normally just a few pounds on the bottom cam-band, since I prefer to dive weightless).

If I were you I would try to find a friend with a video camera to go on an easy dive with me and shoot lots of video, especially stopping and attempting to hover. I would also do a proper weight check at the end of the dive, just to ensure that I'm not overweighted. But that's my opinion.

If you need a guide to proper posture, you can look here: Deep-Sea Sherpa Horizontal Trim 101 – Levers .

Peace,
Greg

this one is the short fat 119 that worthington makes so maybe it will help fix the problem...which is exactly why i didnt go for the longer 120 as i felt it would probably make things worse.

What is the difference in using a short stiff fin vs. something like the dive rite or the quattros? what circumstances are these fins best suited for? i want to pursue cave diving so i know that frog kick is going to be my main means of propulsion are the more flexible fins like the dive rites or the quattros better suited for a cave environment or should i stick to the slipstreams?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom