Tech diving Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, today we ran over to Sea Tiger, from Hickam, to do a deep dive and look for a supposed anchor.

Planned dive 150fsw off the bow of the Sea Tiger. We were greeted again, as we have been all weekend, with very nice conditions. We also spotted some flying fish and 3-4 whales within a 100-150 yards off our starbord bow on the way over.

Nice viz and almost no current. We dropped down towards the bow, shot our heading (after tying a line off) and headed out into the sand. There really isn't a lot out there to see.

Well, we at least had something to listen to along the way. Whales were singing, but not their calls many of us are used to, these were very deep. I could hear them and feel my chest vibrating. It was really cool and you could tell they were very close. I kept looking around for them, but no luck.

So we continued our dive and reached the 300ft that we were supposed to be off the bow and there was nothing. We swept to the SW for several minutes and still nothing. So we reached our turn pressure and headed back to the Sea Tiger and with that our climb back from 150fsw.

Now, back on the Sea Tiger we headed back to the line to ascend and start our deco. Deco went off without a hitch and we were were all back on the boat shortly after.

So, back to me saying that you could tell the whales were close. Our surface support told us when he looked down for us on the line at about 40 minutes into our dive (we were at our at our 60ft stop) that there was a juvinile whale that swam over us. WHAT did you say? Well, I guess that one person in the team is going to have to start doing deco while facing the surface. Probably not 50-100feet from us and we missed it. Ahhhhhhhhhhh,

All in all it was another great day diving on Oahu with great friends. Thanks to all Sherman, Jim, JJ, and Tim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom