Question Tech diving on HMAS Brisbane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judyo1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm keen to dive the HMAS Brisbane on the Sunshine Coast. The local dive shops' websites say that dives are limited to 50 minutes. That seems rather short for a big boat. I'm tec / advanced wreck trained.. and would prefer to do one long dive than 2 short ones... Any ideas if this is feasible? Thanks

Hey,

I've dived the Brisbane a lot. The 50 minute time is set by the government not the shops. There was a spate of deaths and accidents in QLD which made the government put some strict rules in place.

If you're looking for a shop I drive with Scuba World and they're top notch. The owner does a fair bit of tech diving and a great bloke.

Let me know if you have any questions

Hey,

I've dived the Brisbane a lot. The 50 minute time is set by the government not the shops. There was a spate of deaths and accidents in QLD which made the government put some strict rules in place.

If you're looking for a shop I drive with Scuba World and they're top notch. The owner does a fair bit of tech diving and a great bloke.

Thanks :) 50 minute dives... very short! Do you have to dive it as guided dives or can you do your own thing (within 50 minutes...) I take it from your comment it is still worth doing, even with the short dive times :)

Hey,

Hi @NathanTheZoologist

What is your average depth for your dives on the HMAS Brisbane? The 50 minute limit is dive time, not bottom time, correct? Looks like a very nice dive, a lot to see

Thanks :) 50 minute dives... very short! Do you have to dive it as guided dives or can you do your own thing (within 50 minutes...) I take it from your comment it is still worth doing, even with the short dive times :)
You don't have to be guided but if you've never been they can show you some cool stuff. Guided groups are split by experience so you probably won't be stuck with someone who has 8 dives.

The wreck is in 28m of water so even with nitrox you can get close to deco limits without even trying.

It is totally worth doing though. I still don't get sick of diving the Brisbane and I've probably been 50 - 60 times

Back
Top Bottom