Tech diving, equipment, awareness and too much too soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Protec in Playa uses IANTD so that's what I have for my cave certs(Prism 2 too, from Dive Gear Express). The manual was pretty worthless, but it didn't make any difference anyway. The instructors were great, and they issued the cards on the spot.

A great post (the original piece). Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Thought I might just jump in , being newish diver and looking to further my skills I planned to head down a tech path this year long story short was watching a video gave me some appreciation for skillset I thought would be a great starting point so just sharing the link Sure most tech divers this is nothing special but shows how easy scuba looks when you have honed your skills which all comes back to just getting wet regularly !!

Interesting video, Slatsy ... "Recreational Hogarthian?" Well, why not? IIRC, the original idea of the Hogarthian rig was to have a simple, standard, bulletproof rig that lets you concentrate on the task at hand, rather than fiddling with your gear. Is there any serious reason why a recreational diver shouldn't use a similar rig (modified to suit the dive, as we see here.)

But you point out a factor that's more important than arguing about "the long hose." It is that practice and skills-honing are far more valuable for every diver -- even a still-dry-behind-the-ears newbie, or an old duffer like me who just goes diving on vacation -- than the acquisition of new gear, or new cards. And the only way you can hone those skills is by getting out there and getting wet -- practicing them underwater, getting used to them, getting good at them, getting to the point where those basic skills are second nature, almost instinctual, effortless and smooth.

Thanks for sharing the video, and thanks to GDI for starting this thread -- hopefully, it will get more new divers thinking about "Why do I want to go Tec?" and more importantly "Why am I signing up for the next course, when I haven't fully-developed the skills I learned in the last course?"

I'm with the camp that you can be a competent and happy diver even if you are not a tech diver. I think sometime people forget that fact.

Sure most tech divers this is nothing special but shows how easy scuba looks when you have honed your skills which all comes back to just getting wet regularly !!

Hmmm.... A lot of tech divers might SAY that's nothing special, but I wonder how many of them could do equally well. I count myself just barely a tech diver. The print is barely dry on my AN and DP C cards. What that guy was doing looked pretty special to me. I think I could do all those things, but I KNOW I wouldn't look nearly as stable and my buoyancy would not look rock solid like his did. I aspire to look that good! And, man! Those back kicks!

What the video showed is how competent the diver was at the skills demonstrated. Great trim, buoyancy and above all he made it look easy. That showed how skilled he was.

@GDI
Can you recommend an agency not surrounded by drama, corruption, and mutiny for quality cave training?

I got my Cavern card through TDI and that's who I plan on sticking with for future classes. I plan on taking Intro and Full Cave through TDI just to keep everything uniform, along with future classes like Adv. Nitrox / Deco Procedures and Trimix certifications... It was easy (well, dealing with TDI... the instructor worked me over, LOL), no drama, and I got a temporary paper card immediately, with the plastic card coming in the mail within about a week.

I got my Cavern card through TDI and that's who I plan on sticking with for future classes. I plan on taking Intro and Full Cave through TDI just to keep everything uniform, along with future classes like Adv. Nitrox / Deco Procedures and Trimix certifications... It was easy (well, dealing with TDI... the instructor worked me over, LOL), no drama, and I got a temporary paper card immediately, with the plastic card coming in the mail within about a week.

I like easy classes, I've started referring lots of people to UDIE for training. Very price conscience and ability to produce just the right quality for the money had me sold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom