Tec Diving Equipment Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Impulse -- amongst other things you wrote
I do not want to buy a tec dive computer in the first place. Maybe after some experience I would
but you also wrote you are going through the DSAT program. IF I am not mistaken (and I may well be!), DSAT requires the use of a dive computer (I vaguely remember they require a redundant one) as part of their training.

Also (again if I am not mistaken) the DSAT program has changed and the first "technical class" is TEC 40. In looking around on various websites, it appears the following is generally accepted as the minimum required equipment for the class:

The equipment requirements for the Tec 40 Course include
Standard Scuba Equipment with a BCD of appropriate lift and attachment points for a single stage bottle

Exposure Protection appropriate for the environment

A single cylinder with a dual outlet valve or A single cylinder with an 30 cf (or larger) pony bottle Or Double cylinders

Two complete regulators with one equipped with a seven foot hose

Stage/ Deco Cylinder with attachment hardware and a regulator and SPG

Dive computer and additional timing device for use with dive tables

I must say I agree with others who have said you MUST talk with your proposed instructor -- if for no other reasons than to make sure he is teaching a course that still exists!

Have read bits and pieces of most of the posts here and have to throw in my 2 cents.
First off, the Padi Deep Diver course has changed and been split into 3 sections: Tec 40,45 & 50. Trimix is after that. Its a long process and you should take a few months between each to practice practice and practice.
Prior to the course itself, if you are not familiar with Tec diving at all, you can do a "discover Tec". (this is a good option for alot of people)
Now in saying all that, I agree with a few of the posts I've read... beg, borrow for the first while. The Tec crowd are very close nit... kinda off on there own abit... but thats not to say unapproachable. Get to know some of them, see what gear they are using. Tec gear varies ALOT depending on the enviroment your in. (its somewhat less involved in the warm gulfsteam water in comparrison to 40* current swept zero vis type diving).
You'll figure it out from there but is should be you to figure it out for your own needs... eg. twin 130's kick ass.... so long as you can get yourself out of the water after a 2hr. dive. If your face down in the rocks and cant stand up... maybe twin 100's would be more your speed.

For what its worth thats my 2 cents

Here is a small list of some of the extra equipment you will "need" to move from rec diving to tek diving:

BP/wing (50lb min lift)
appropriate regulators
primary reel (line longer than deepest depth)
backup reel
2x surface markers (I would recommend one SMB and one lift bag)
Wrist slate
either one dive computer and one backup depth/timer or two depth/timing devices
spare mask
deco tanks, kits and regs

If you really plan on doing technical diving I would also highly recommend you getting your own set of doubles. Then you will be use to the trim of them and not have to make adjustments to the bands etc. each time you rent/borrow doubles. It will also mean that you will always dive with the same size tanks which makes a huge difference of comfort level in the water.

The list I gave you above is just a small suggestion. I would highly recommend talking with you tek instructor and finding out what he requires and then ask for suggestions (I know I said this before but each instructor will want things slightly different and then we can help a little bit more).

Oh, and welcome to technical diving! :cheers:

My experience with the OMS bungee wing is that you can't attach the bungees on the wing that is not build for a bungee because it does not have the 40 mm eyelet that the bungee loops from.

As TS&M said, there is a good second-hand market for tech kit. Ebay and Craig's List can see you equipped at a fraction of the cost.

It is VITAL though that you know exactly what you want/need BEFORE you start shopping. Do lots of internet research and talk to as many tech divers/instructors as you can.

Personally, I would expect any potential/future technical instructor you may employ to spend time with you and help you equip properly.

and you will learn little helpful things like even some quote instructors in this post need to learn like "tuck your maskstrap under your hood."

it's fun and exciting, i can see your enthusiasm and thats great, we need more in the sport, but go slow. tortoise wins the race, rabbits die!

suggest you buy Gentile's book or some equivalent before you go on your spending spree

The Technical Diving Handbook
ISBN 1-883056-05-5, softcover lay-flat binding. Large Format 8 1/2 by 11
192 pages, 125 color photos, 12 tables, 12 equations, fully indexed

If you really plan on doing technical diving I would also highly recommend you getting your own set of doubles. T

True, and try to get the same sized ones as your buddies if your RMV/SAC is close, as you tend to collect and fill tanks in a group. Having similar trim and bouyancy characteristic in the tank library is nice. Do you have people doing local diving beyond recreational type limits, or a group you could dive with? That can be important especially when starting out.

-matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom