Tec diver dies in air deep dive challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's his gas selection, it tell the computer what gas he has in the tank, the 3 numbers in the middle are the computer telling him the partial pressure of o2 he is currently breathing.
With that and the depth reading we can calculate the aproximate composition of the gas he is breathing.
In that screenshot it's close to 16% oxygen and the only gas left is nitrogen. Making his mix more narcotic and denser than air.
Do you know the gas your actually breathing some other way.

Many thanks! So, if I understand correctly, the calculation is the following:
EP = Environmental Pressure = 86[m]/10[m/atm]+1[atm] = 9.6[atm]
%Oxygen = PPO2/EP=1,63/9,6= 16,98%

Is it correct? But why are there three numbers for O2 partial pressure? Also, why the computer says 21/00 under O2/He in the bottom line - why the gas selection is different from what he is breathing?

I have no experience with rebreathers, as you can see, and I struggle to understand what is happening here :)
Yup, calculation is correct.
The ppo2 is monitored by 3 independent o2 cells and you can see all 3 of them in case some of them are not working properly. If everything is correct all 3 of them should show the same values or close to them. You metabolize oxygen as you breath so without adding any to the loop and maintaining the same depth the % of o2 in the loop will drop.

People who for whatever reason go deeper than their diluent allows tend to overfill the loop with gas and breath it down to a "safer" ppo2. Just to be clear that is idiotic and goes against any safe diving practice.

The link said that the dead dude did this intentionally, a number of times to train for doing even stupider stuff. If I was not clear that was stupid and the victim was either not educated or suicidal.

Do you know the gas your actually breathing some other way.
You can flush the loop with a know gas and theoretically you could count breaths or use your metabolic rate to figure out how much oxygen you used in the loop, but that is only used when you have absolutely no other choice.

Yup, calculation is correct.
The ppo2 is monitored by 3 independent o2 cells and you can see all 3 of them in case some of them are not working properly. If everything is correct all 3 of them should show the same values or close to them. You metabolize oxygen as you breath so without adding any to the loop and maintaining the same depth the % of o2 in the loop will drop.
Was he diving a Liberty?

People who for whatever reason go deeper than their diluent allows tend to overfill the loop with gas and breath it down to a "safer" ppo2. Just to be clear that is idiotic and goes against any safe diving practice.
Got it, many thanks!

The link said that the dead dude did this intentionally, a number of times to train for doing even stupider stuff. If I was not clear that was stupid and the victim was either not educated or suicidal.
He was a trimix instructor, so definitely not uneducated. Also, I don't think he was suicidal, and maybe he was also smart.

Human ego and complacency together can make people do the dumbest things, despite them being smart and educated.

He was a trimix instructor, so definitely not uneducated. Also, I don't think he was suicidal, and maybe he was also smart.

Human ego and complacency together can make people do the dumbest things, despite them being smart and educated.
That a trimix Instructor thought that doing an air dive on a CCR to 130M was an acceptable risk should be of significant concern to the particular Training Agency, and their Trimix Course content and standards

That a trimix Instructor thought that doing an air dive on a CCR to 130M was an acceptable risk should be of significant concern to the particular Training Agency, and their Trimix Course content and standards

Agree 100%

Nah…hate to break it to you, but knowledge does not equate to intelligence. Seems this guy had all the right tools and training to make good decisions and CHOSE to ignore them. A training agency or an instructor trainer has no way to evaluate the level of stupid someone may or may not choose to develop after a certification is given.
There are numerous examples of well trained and respected divers doing dumb ass shite and getting themselves unalive. I can probably point you to a dozen without trying too hard.

Nah…hate to break it to you, but knowledge does not equate to intelligence. Seems this guy had all the right tools and training to make good decisions and CHOSE to ignore them.
Can I ask why does it seem to you that he did have all the right tools and training in light of the fatal decisions he made?

B
Can I ask why does it seem to you that he did have all the right tools and training in light of the fatal decisions he made?
Because he was trained and certified to do this dive properly, and chose to do otherwise.
No training agency that I’m aware of would even remotely condone the idiocy of his dive plan…thus he was taught better, but chose to do otherwise. Much like a child, you can teach them right from wrong, but that doesn’t guarantee they stay out of prison.

What does a wacky record attempt on air has to do with training standards or any trimix course content?

Back
Top Bottom