Tec diver dies in air deep dive challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

509 feet on air? Or am I misunderstanding?
People used to go for these records all the time. Not only deep air but also deep records on mix. There is a book by Bret Gilliam called 'deep diving' from the 90s with some crazy stories in there. It's intersting but not something you wanna take many lessons from. ... it's pretty... mmmh, old school, like smoking with your kids in the car or drinking from lead coated bottles.
It's an interesting read. It's diving history.

This was a personal record for him. I wonder what his previous personal record was. Often accidents like this often occur due to rapid escalation of dives (see "Doc Deep").

My personal (stupidest dive) is <2% deeper than my previous personal (stupidest dive). Prior to exceeding the previous (stupidest dive), I had ~10 dives withing 2% of that (stupidest dive) and over 100 dives total. The purpose of the dive that set the new (stupidest dive) was not to set a new personal (stupidest dive), rather I was seeing a new underwater feature I had never seen before (and should never have seen because it was stupid to ever dive deeper than the ~3 ft of my CW1 dive).

EDITED to replace "record" with "stupidest dive" per @tursiops

This was a personal record for him. I wonder what his previous personal record was. Often accidents like this occur due to rapid escalation of dives (see "Doc Deep").

My personal record is <2% deeper than my previous personal record. Prior to exceeding the previous record, I had ~10 dives withing 2% of that record and over 100 dives total. The purpose of the dive that set the new record was not to set a new personal record, rather I was seeing a new underwater feature I had never seen before.
By calling it a "personal record" you are contributing to the problem.

By calling it a "personal record" you are contributing to the problem.
What would you call it?

I think it is important to know your personal envelop and not expand it to fast. I spoke in percentages, so no one would measure themselves against me or vice versa.

This was a personal record for him. I wonder what his previous personal record was. Often accidents like this occur due to rapid escalation of dives (see "Doc Deep").

My personal record is <2% deeper than my previous personal record. Prior to exceeding the previous record, I had ~10 dives withing 2% of that record and over 100 dives total. The purpose of the dive that set the new record was not to set a new personal record, rather I was seeing a new underwater feature I had never seen before.

A couple of points that I think are relevant...

1) I don't think you can call it a new personal record if you die. The Guiness people are funny that way.

2) @L13 WTF dude... it's not a contest.

As I enter my 49th year and about 6000 dives, I have no frigging idea why someone figures that they can defy physics. The topside equivalent of this is basically seeing who can jump off the tallest building and live. Just stupid.

A couple of points that I think are relevant...

1) I don't think you can call it a new personal record if you die. The Guiness people are funny that way.

2) @L13 WTF dude... it's not a contest.

As I enter my 49th year and about 6000 dives, I have no frigging idea why someone figures that they can defy physics. The topside equivalent of this is basically seeing who can jump off the tallest building and life. Just stupid.
1) He planned to set a record by going 120m. That is a much riskier dive if all his previous experience was <100m than it would have been if he had significant experience in the 115-120m range.

1b) The Guiness people have nothing to do with personal anything.

2) Which is why I spoke in percentages. Nobody here knows if I went from 50ft to 51ft, 100ft to 102ft, or 128ft to 130ft.

With 49 years and 6000 dives, I hope you still have an idea what your personal envelope is, and would be Leary of doing a dive 50% (or even 20%) deeper than you have ever been before.

This was a personal record for him. I wonder what his previous personal record was. Often accidents like this often occur due to rapid escalation of dives (see "Doc Deep").

Trimix 180, AIR 120 , from 66m、80m、90m、100m、120m, he step by step on the stairs to heaven, left his wife and children on the ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom