Tec Courses in Dry Suit (or not?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove in Monterey and in SE FL in my drysuit. If you have boat dives or shore dives with short walk/low task loading, dry suit is not a problem. Get thin underwear and your **** together. If you can don everything under 2 minutes, you won't bake. Just make sure you're the first in the water.

Once you learn how to dive dry in the warm waters, you won't go back. It is a really comfortable.

Yeah instead of being encapsulated by the magnificent health imbibing ocean
You're shrink wrapped marinating in a wet sack soaked in your sweat and piss

Once you learn how to dive dry in the warm waters, you won't go back. It is a really comfortable.

I have to say: As someone who has only had terrible experiences with 5mm or 7mm wetsuits, I greatly enjoyed how comfy I felt post dive. I didn't feel like a cold, drenched rat.

I mean. I don't know what I don't know

Mate if you subscribe to this Gareth Lock BS where everyone is stupid until he helps them there's no hope

But if you think about it doubles is only an extra tank and manifold which you buy, put on, and take diving

And then when you go coursing you can concentrate on the course instead of stuff you can learn at home

Mate if you subscribe to this Gareth Lock BS where everyone is stupid until he helps them there's no hope

But if you think about it doubles is only an extra tank and manifold which you buy, put on, and take diving

And then when you go coursing you can concentrate on the course instead of stuff you can learn at home

Happy, what’s wrong? Are you off your whatever it is? You’re almost coherent, not your usual tripped out! 🤣😂

I bought a dry suit and went to Thailand to learn how to dive with it as I was staying one month there (mid November to mid December). Although it was not the hottest period there it was still rather hot (around 30 - 32 ° C). I did not think it was so difficult to stand the eat after you don the dry suit on the boat even if I had to wear it for 30 minutes or more before the dive (I was not under the sun though). Put some water on your head and all over the dry suit, leave the zipper open and that should be ok.

The problem I had, like @suricatasuricata was more with the stiff fins ! I have quite skinny legs (I am only 1m70 and 62 kg) and stiff fins just exhausted me ! I don't have the strength to use them... So I plan to use more flexi fins even if they are lighter. Am I the only one to have this problem as I seem to see only people loving the very stiff fins !

I bought a dry suit and went to Thailand to learn how to dive with it as I was staying one month there (mid November to mid December). Although it was not the hottest period there it was still rather hot (around 30 - 32 ° C). I did not think it was so difficult to stand the eat after you don the dry suit on the boat even if I had to wear it for 30 minutes or more before the dive (I was not under the sun though). Put some water on your head and all over the dry suit, leave the zipper open and that should be ok.

I see. I haven't had problems in winter in Monterey at ~52 F (11 C), but I should try the drysuit in Mexico where the weather is like ~84 F and see how things go.

The problem I had, like @suricatasuricata was more with the stiff fins ! I have quite skinny legs (I am only 1m70 and 62 kg) and stiff fins just exhausted me ! I don't have the strength to use them... So I plan to use more flexi fins even if they are lighter. Am I the only one to have this problem as I seem to see only people loving the very stiff fins !

So, I am in two minds about this. I am transitioning from the Mares Quattro Avantis (which are ~ 4 lbs) to the XL Jet Fins. Yes, their dry weight is unquestionably heavier (around ~ 8 lbs or 4 kgs), but their water weight in sea water, if I understand is it only like -1.2 lbs, so I am moving from a neutrally buoyant pair of fins to -1.2 lbs.

I have four dives in, come from dives having thigh cramps. Nevertheless, I have noticed that is forcing me to engage in frog kicks as opposed to flutter kicking. It seems plausible to me that it is entirely possible that this is less about raw physical mass/power and more about not built up the right muscles/technique to use them.

If you're going to dive the big gear, then you need the leg strength to back it up. Time to hit the gym. :)
Flexible fins just fold over when you kick hard while wearing a full set of tech gear. Bringing a DPV is always a good idea if you can, but you still need to be able to kick hard to fight a current or get to a buddy in distress.
The negatively buoyant Jet Fins are great for use with a drysuit because they help to balance out the gas around your legs. This avoids the need for ankle weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom