Team gearing up for a fun working dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We just started prepping for an unusual task for us. The request is going up the Chain of Command so we should know in a day or two.

Fish and Game called and want to know if we could recover a net for them. It started out easy and in their own attempt to recover it have compounded the problem.

What we know so far is this.

The net is approx. 30’ square with a metal frame at the leading edge. It’s unknown if it is the net or the frame that has hung up on a submerged object but it is stuck tight.

Had they stopped there it would have been no big deal. But in all their wisdom they decided to tie off the wire tow cable to the shore. Well, when they got to the end of the 700’+ long cable they still were a long way from shore. They tied on a buoy, disconnected the cable and came home.

On their return they found someone had stolen the buoy. At least they have a GPS reading on it.

Now we have a 30’ X 30’ net with a large metal frame with over 700’ of cable laying on the lake bottom at 90’ in deep silt.

They asked if we could do it. Sure we can this is no big deal. It will be good training for our new guys, save F&G a lot of money not having to replace it and get a taste of my serious attitude when it comes to safety concerns.

I will be with the guys on every dive when they are near the net. It should be lying flat on the bottom so entanglement problems will be minimized. Still the exposure will be good for them.

Gary D.

Sounds like a good time :D Have fun and be safe, Divers and Nets is usualy not the best combination. Im sure there are about 7 guys in Russia taht will tell you all about Nets :D

On another note, I will be at DR-1 for sure, I went to a SAR meeting tonight and confimed that little fact :D I am super excited to finnaly get the training! Should have been through it last year bu that is another story.

So whatever happened to the net...how did the recovery go?

Back
Top Bottom