Team ethos and recreational diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron:
Here's one (not a recommendation)
Naturally, LEDs and red lasers and red LEDs especially should be avoided.

Why not the red ones?

The green might work well as they can be seen mid-air on land, so they should show up very well underwater.

Aloha, Tim

Doesn't water absorb longer wavelengths first? Thus absorbing ROYGBIV from left to right? That's what I remember anyway so the reds wouldn't go as far, making them less useful.

Halthron:
Doesn't water absorb longer wavelengths first? Thus absorbing ROYGBIV from left to right? That's what I remember anyway so the reds wouldn't go as far, making them less useful.
It's white sunlight from the surface that's colors are absorbed with depth. Which is why a flashlight will show you the true colors.

An independent light source will show it's true colors.

Rick Inman:
It's white sunlight from the surface that's colors are absorbed with depth. Which is why a flashlight will show you the true colors.

An independent light source will show it's true colors.
Sunlight has nothing to do with it by itself, other than being the vastly predominant form of light. Light waves from the sun are no different than other light waves of the same type. At issue is that per volume of water, red is absorbed at a much higher rate (90-100 times a much) than blue is, with green in between. The reason an independent light source shows the true colors is because it's closer, not because it's a non-sunlight source.

Halthron:
Sunlight has nothing to do with it by itself, other than being the vastly predominant form of light. Light waves from the sun are no different than other light waves of the same type. At issue is that per volume of water, red is absorbed at a much higher rate (90-100 times a much) than blue is, with green in between. The reason an independent light source shows the true colors is because it's closer, not because it's a non-sunlight source.
Right. That's what I ment. You said it better.
If you shine your light (white) sixty feet away, you'll loose the red.

JimC:
It was a long and hard road for me. My wife wanted nothing to do with much other than poking around under water. I wanted the "perfect DIR Teammate".

We almost ended up never diving together at one point.
Looks familiar :)

JimC:
Most of the giving came from me letting stuff slide, but after a few hundred dives together I can honestly say she is a great diver with good awarness. It was a long road, but were finaly on the same page.
Your page :wink:

I'm still on the road.

What The Heck?!? Underwater laser talk in a DIR forum?!? :07: :D

One of the main tenets of the DIR system is to create a "thinking diver". So, to that end, whenever a new piece of gear is added to the DIR configuration, 2 questions must be asked:

1) How does this piece of equipment enhance the dive?

2) How does it impact the rest of the system?

IMHO, this piece of equipment doesn't enhance the dive. Hands, touch contact or dive lights are used for signaling. I understand that not everyone is ready to run out and get a Helios, but buying a laser pointer isn't the answer.

Again, IMHO, I feel it impacts the system negatively. It isn't uniform. Sure, you may have a "team" using them, but on the larger scale, probably few, if any, other GUE trained divers would be using them. Also, due to their "pen-like" shape and size, I would think they could be easily lost and difficult to stow and deploy, especially for those of us in drygloves or 7mm 3-figered mitts.

A set of Scouts or mini-Scouts (especially if equipped with the LED upgrade) would be a much better alternative than a laser pointer if a diver wanted a signaling device but didn't have a canister light. Or better yet, get out there, dive more with said teammate(s), and develop that innate communication that will surely come with time and experience. :14:

Just my .02psi.....

pssst . . . I think the laser talk was a joke . . .

TSandM:
But what do you do in bright, clear tropical water?

sight is not the only useful sense under water.

A free flow can be clearly heard 50 metres away. The sound of your buddy breathing is a good indicator (with a little practice) of how far away he is (even if it's hard to judge direction) and shouting through your regulator to get attention works from 5 metres or less.

Also, how you use your light (where you shine it) is just as important as how much light it generates.

And of course, if your buddy isn't expecting you to communicate with these cues (among others) then they'll miss the message even if it was sent clearly. Sending and receiving both need practice.

If your husband is willing to learn communication but doesn't like the DIR label then you still have hope. If he thinks it's just all B.S. then doing anything about it is like the proverbial pee-ing on a forest fire.

It's good to bring this up in your DIR-F class but I suspect you will find the answer difficult to hear.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom