Teaching English and Scuba Diving in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for correcting my math error LK, I'm not sure how I managed that. :)
And thanks for the feedback about prices - I did research them, they are from a website called Know Phuket which has lots of cool info. Thanks for letting me know that they are on the low side.
I may be able to not have the apartment phone - I don't have one in China and I still have internet fine.
I could also just use buses for transport although a motorbike would be more convenient.
Does anyone know how the market is in Phuket for extra private classes to earn money on the side?
And lastly I may not be able do dive quite as much as I would like to. :) I will work it out.
Thanks for the feedback

Around the Pattaya area I constantly see numerous expats that maybe came here on holiday, loved the place and sold up at home to settle here armed with redundancy payments, divorce settlements, or small occupational pensions cashed in early to come and 'live the dream'. Many soon find that their limited sources of income either run out or are insufficient to partake in the lifestyle and activities that attracted them here in the first place. They then end up living a sad lonely existence, with insufficient money to maintain a decent quality of life here, or the funds to go home and start again. I see such people every day.
I wish you all the best and hope your plans work out. Thailand really is a great place, but you must ensure you have sufficient funds to achieve your goals, as the great place can soon turn into your worst nightmare, as it has done for so many in the past.

A couple of things.... as many of us have mentioned, if you want to dive on a teacher's pay, you will have to live fairly frugally otherwise. I have met quite a few English teachers while living here and one thing they do to economize is to share lodgings. It's sometimes cheaper to rent a two bedroom bungalow house and split the cost than it is to rent a "room" (sleeping area/bathroom/fridge/balcony). Once you're here, there's a decent chance you will be able to join somebody else as a housemate. This place is popular among teachers working at Thai public schools (mostly near Phuket City): Patra Mansion, Serviced apartment with suitable price in Phuket Town

There is a whole discussion forum populated by expat teachers working in Thailand called ajarnforum.com In your situation, I'd join that and ask specific questions of teachers currently working here on the island.

That's a great idea. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom