TDC-3 by Technical Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
The TDC-3 is a new computer for the OC or CCR tech diver, for trimix and EAN diving. It has a low profile and contoured all metal body, with both bungee and strap mount built in. The TDC-3 features a 2.2" TFT screen that is high contrast and readable in direct sunlight. It will run on any AA type battery available. The computer firmware has both ZHL-C and VPM-B decompression models inbuilt. It includes a tilt compensated compass, and has big text for easy screen reading.

Some new and unique features include;

DIR deco stops mode: Create your own set of stop tables, program them into the dive computer, and have the computer run that table when it's needed. The computer can hold 4 different sets of stop tables, for different dives.

GF NDL mode: The diver can choose to have regular NDL times shown, or GF Lo/Hi NDL times shown.

Adjustable GF in the dive: The diver can change their GF Lo and Hi settings during the dive, right up to the end of the dive.

Dual user interface: The computer accepts both regular button presses, and/or tap scrolling inputs.

Dual / backup power: The computer holds two batteries and keeps one in reserve, and it will switch between them under load as needed. This allows the computer to use all of the available battery capacity and eliminates the wasting of half used batteries.

See our web site or Facebook page for further details.

IMG_20180319_031845_15_50.jpg
IMG_20190124_203021_1-50.jpg

D.

Welcome (back?) :)

The TDC-3 is a new computer for the OC or CCR tech diver, for trimix and EAN diving. It has a low profile and contoured all metal body, with both bungee and strap mount built in. The TDC-3 features a 2.2" TFT screen that is high contrast and readable in direct sunlight. It will run on any AA type battery available. The computer firmware has both ZHL-C and VPM-B decompression models inbuilt. It includes a tilt compensated compass, and has big text for easy screen reading.

Some new and unique features include;

DIR deco stops mode: Create your own set of stop tables, program them into the dive computer, and have the computer run that table when it's needed. The computer can hold 4 different sets of stop tables, for different dives.

GF NDL mode: The diver can choose to have regular NDL times shown, or GF Lo/Hi NDL times shown.

Adjustable GF in the dive: The diver can change their GF Lo and Hi settings during the dive, right up to the end of the dive.

Dual user interface: The computer accepts both regular button presses, and/or tap scrolling inputs.

Dual / backup power: The computer holds two batteries and keeps one in reserve, and it will switch between them under load as needed. This allows the computer to use all of the available battery capacity and eliminates the wasting of half used batteries.

See our web site or Facebook page for further details.

View attachment 504390 View attachment 504391

D.
currently looking at opitons... what updates have happened since 2019?

currently looking at opitons... what updates have happened since 2019?
Covid. Worldwide depression. Rampant inflation. Lots of other new computers on the market including the Apple iWatch...

Covid. Worldwide depression. Rampant inflation. Lots of other new computers on the market including the Apple iWatch...
Understood I saw the DarwinBsd watch [ultra]/cellphone only thing is depth limit. [got to admit the ability to hit the surface and make a phonecall is a nice feature]

I got my garmin mk2 ( last month my first dive computer since I started diving in the 80's) looking for a backup was considering the divesoft freedom + and this caught my interest.... looking for something I can use with BSD and Linux.. considering multi-deco works on linux and this ran multi-deco... I was hoping there would not be a need to pay the OS tax... mac/pc

I got my garmin mk2 ( last month my first dive computer since I started diving in the 80's) looking for a backup was considering the divesoft freedom + and this caught my interest.... looking for something I can use with BSD and Linux.. considering multi-deco works on linux and this ran multi-deco... I was hoping there would not be a need to pay the OS tax... mac/pc
Depends on the diving you're planning. If shallow NDL stuff, then literally a simple Uwatec bottom timer is all you need for a backup (second hand from ebay!). This tells you the depth and duration, nothing fancy.
1699154268943.png
Even a decompression dive could be run off with a bottom timer, but you'd be better with some knowledge of ratio decompression algorithms... TBH for deco or technical dives, then you really should have two near identical computers running the same algorithm and settings.

Personally, I'm happiest with a dive computer that's reliable and has a good reputation. I want the thing to work and to be very easy to use. Every time I jump into the water, half my brain shuts down, so I need simple! Thus Shearwater computers are a good investment. But it really depends on the type of diving you do.

I skip depending on the place if it is all shallow then i do recreational if I can do tech on twinset then I want to go deep and stay long...

I skip depending on the place if it is all shallow then i do recreational if I can do tech on twinset then I want to go deep and stay long...
If "technical" diving, then it's generally considered to be a good thing to have a backup for an essential piece of kit. OK, some people will say the backup computer is on your buddy. Yeah, whatever..

I used to dive with a Suunto D9tx as a backup to my Shearwater Perdix. The Suunto was a hateful thing, couldn't read it with the tiny screen (needed a torch pointed at it if dark), it had ridiculously complex button presses especially for gas changes, it arbitrarily added time to the dive, and always cleared after the Shearwater. Oh, and it sulked for two days if you ended the dive using the Shearwater, identifying itself as a wrist-mounted brick. Meh.

If technical diving, a good computer is a must. And then the second to back up the first. Keep your eyes open for a second hand Perdix at the right kind of price. They're reliable and support is well renowned. Or even in your case, a second hand Garmin Descent 2. Like all dive kit you want, they never turn up until you're least expecting it!

Amen to that ...

Back
Top Bottom