Tavernier fatality - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Tampa man dies after scuba diving off Florida Keys
A Tampa man died after becoming unresponsive during a scuba dive at Davis Reef off Plantation Key Monday morning.

Lloyd Beale, 57, was pronounced dead at Mariners Hospital in Tavernier, said Deputy Becky Herrin, Monroe County Sheriff’s office media relations officer.

Beale surfaced around 10 a.m. and began climbing on board a vessel operated by Conch Republic Divers, which is docked at Tavernier Creek Marina. He collapsed on the deck, Herrin said. The dive boat crew began performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Beale.

A U.S. Coast Guard response boat soon arrived bringing two Islamorada Fire-Rescue medics to the scene, said said Petty Officer 2nd Class Jonathan Lally, an agency spokesman. The medics took over CPR as the boat returned to shore, Fire-Rescue Chief Terry Abel said.

Once at the dock, an ambulance took Beale to Mariners.

An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of his death, Herrin said. Additionally, Herrin said a Sheriff;s Office detective has been assigned to investigate the case.

Not much to go on in this report, is there?

Not much to go on in this report, is there?
Well, we ruled out OOA drowning, lost, found on bottom with weights attached, shark attack, and some other possibilities.

I post what shows up in the news in hopes that locals with info will add.

I listened to it unfold on the VHF radio. I know no details but I did hear the crew call the accident and heard their very professional conversation with the USCG during their attempts to get the victim to professional medical care.

Kudos to the crew at Conch Republic & condolences to family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom